DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860 Wifi Vlan and iPad certain apps do not work

• marjohn56
  • Topic Author
More
01 Oct 2014 09:56 #81317 by marjohn56
I have recently installed a 2860 at home, in general, all is working well. I would like to connect VDSL directly and do away with the BT modem but I had a few issues there and my speed dropped by 50%, probably down to the constant re-booting whilst I was setting up the 2860!

However, this is not the issue I am asking about. I want to run two SSID's, so I set it all up, VLAN's all working and then I discovered I had a problem. If I try and control my Sky box or my LG TV remotely from the iPad when it is connected by WiFi to the 2860, then the apps cannot find either the Sky box or the TV. Turn off the VLAN and just run everything as a simple router and all works.

I should add that I can connect to the devices when the iPad is connected to another access point elsewhere in the house on the same Lan segment, but that really does not help me as I cannot see the TV or Sky box in the lounge from my study!

So, my question is, is this a bug in the 2860 where the VLAN is not routing all the traffic on whatever port to and from the WifI SSID on the 2860 the iPad is connected to, to the devices, or is this an issue with using VLAN's for this type of protocol, full stop.

A netscan from the iPad also shows ( or should I say does not show) missing devices when the VLAN is active.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2014 11:26 #81323 by gerrad.ferrier
Replied by gerrad.ferrier on topic Re: 2860 Wifi Vlan and iPad certain apps do not work
Hello,

I would probably guess your TV and sky box are found by your iPhone using a multicast address.
Multicast cannot traverse a VLAN without some fancy switches and a lot of messing about.

I would suggest you make sure your iPhone, TV and sky are all on the same VLAN.
This should fix the issue, it doesn't sound like a bug.

Cheers

• marjohn56
  • Topic Author
More
08 Oct 2014 10:01 #81363 by marjohn56
Thanks for the reply.

I think I need to do some research into VLAN's. They are ( were ) all on the same VLAN.

As I said, a scan from the IPad when using VLAN fails to find the tv or Sky box.

After doing a little trawling and for the LG it uses ports 8080 and 34855, so a secure HTTP connection and I would assume the 34855 is UDP and used as a disconvery port. UPNP may be of importance for the both the LG and Sky box.

Still baffled..

Moderators: Sami