DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 and sky routing help

• pjarrett
  • Topic Author
More
03 Oct 2014 13:12 #81324 by pjarrett
2820 and sky routing help was created by pjarrett
hi I have just got sky with an sr102 router and because I have a 12 year old and need a vpn I am using my 2820 into wan2

the problem is I cant make the subnets communicate.
the sky router is downstairs and has the ip 192.168.0.1 the tv, dvd and sky box are hard wired in the last port goes to a homeplug adaptor, so all downstairs equipment has a 192.168.0.x address
the 2820 is upstairs and wan2 is connected to the homeplug, the pcs and dlna server are connected to the hub lan1-4 the ip of the router is 192.168.1.1 upstairs equipment is all 192.168.1.x

the 2820 provides all the wireless for the house and the content filter works to keep my son safe and the vpn to the office is perfect as I can connect instantly.

the only thing that fails is the comms between the 2 networks as the tv etc cant see the dlna, I'm hoping someone can explain how I can rectify this and save me a lot of reading regarding subnets and routing

thanks
Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pjarrett
  • Topic Author
More
06 Oct 2014 13:27 #81348 by pjarrett
Replied by pjarrett on topic Re: 2820 and sky routing help
I think I have answered this myself, the sky router isn't smart enough to have a static route setup so it will never work. Any further suggestions are welcome.

More
10 Oct 2014 12:54 #81378 by cifer
Replied by cifer on topic Re: 2820 and sky routing help
Your 2820 is currently NAT'ing between the upstairs and downstairs network, communication work basically one way (Keeping it simple), you would be better replacing what is now an over 6 year old designed router with either a 2860/2850 and using that inplace of the sky router and having the network all under one subnet or look at shifting the 2820 next to the sky router and plugging that into the wan port and then running the rest off the 2820,

Moderators: Sami