DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

HELP Intermittent slow LAN connection on Vigor 2925n

• james12345
  • Topic Author
More
15 Oct 2014 14:41 #81418 by james12345
I'm having a terrible time when attempting to browse internet via my new Vigor 2925n, wondered if anybody had any thoughts or ideas?

When attempting to load a webpage it takes a very long time (10s) to connect to the webserver. Looking at a breakdown (using firefox or chrome dev tools), the 1st step – DNS resolution – and 3rd, 4th and 5th steps – Sending, Waiting and Receiving – all complete in 10s or low-100s of milliseconds. The second step – Connecting – takes high-1000s or sometimes 10,000s. This isn't everytime, from a non-scientific test it would be somewhere between 1 in 5, or 1 in 10 attempts, although as most web-pages are made up of content from multiple servers, the majority are slow to load completely. I can't decide if errors are evenly distributed, or cyclical, it seems to have periods when all OK, but I think the connections are kept-alive by the browser, so that's a bit unscientific. It's very frustrating.

Anyone got any thoughts at all on how I could better diagnose or what to try? Could my router be faulty? Have I missed a setting?

I think it is the Draytek, as I'd like to think I've ruled everything else out...but as it is intermittent my ruling in/out is unscientific. Any comments on the below welcome:
- Same symptoms with different browsers on Macbook, Ubuntu Laptop, Windows machine and various Phones/Tablets. Seems to be worse on Macbook than Ubuntu, but I think that is just perceived.
- Cable connection had same issue as wireless connection. Seemed less-frequent with cable, but again could just be perceived. Have ruled out wireless signal strength, same when right next to it.
- WAN is BT Infinity 2. An ECI Openreach Modem connected to WAN1. Connection is stable at close to 80 down/20 up. The issue does not appear when I use the BT Homehub 5 or connect the modem directly to Ubuntu laptop (PPPoE from linux, no NAT), so I don't think there is anything wrong with WAN.
- DNS resolution always seems fast usually resolves on first attempt. Using BT ones, but have tried alternatives (8.8.8.8 ), seems to make no difference.
- Have tried unplugging wired devices (Smart TV, Sonos, NAS box) - no change. The Sonos and TV have the same issues connecting, but OK once streaming. Reducing WiFi connected devices makes no difference.
- I updated the firmware to 3.7.4.2 when I got the router. Haven't tried downgrading. I recently re-installed the firmware reset file, made no difference.
- I played with almost every setting, all to no avail. Having reset everything with the firmware re-install the only changes now to default are to change the Admin password, SSID and WPA2 password, and to set the PPPoE user to bthomehub@btbroadband.com.
- Wireshark suggested lots of ARP broadcasts (but probably not abnormal) and quite a few TCP resets/re-trys. I thought those might be the problem, but there's no obvious correlation between the TCP resets and the slow loads. What is a normal amount of TCP resends?

James

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2014 21:51 #81420 by babis3g
Go at LAN >> General Setup>Lan 1, Details page>DNS Server IP Address ... and set manually one that works for both isp's (if you have 2 connections)
after press OK at the same page and then go back to Lan > General Setup and tick "Force router to use "DNS server IP address" settings specified in Lan 1" ... then ok ... and see if helps

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami