DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Advice for 2860 newbies - like me

• marjohn56
  • Topic Author
More
29 Oct 2014 10:43 #81537 by marjohn56
Advice for 2860 newbies - like me was created by marjohn56
I have been running the 2860 now for a few weeks, and yes there are a number of issues that need resolving. However, here's a few peices of advice for all those setting up a new 2860* that I have learned painfully.

1. IF you are connecting using VDSL then configure the 2860* FULLY or as best as you can before connecting the WAN1. If you do not do this then the DLM will hang you for mutliple reboots and before you know it your speeds will have dropped and all you can do is wait; that is unless you know someone at BTO!

2. Make sure you disable WAN ports that are not being used, i.e. if only using WAN1 then disable the other three. The reason for this is I had issues whereby I would lose my internet connection for periods of upto 2 or three mnutes, I found I could also not log into the 2860. When it came back up the logs showed nothing. However, during this initial phase I am running a quality monitor on thinkbroadband.com, that showed that there was no reply to pings either. Having a look around the CPU usage, even when idling, i.e. no traffic worth mentioning was sat at 3%. Looking for answers, first thing I looked at was the WAN settings, well it's the top of the menu, and I disabled the three unused WAN ports. Hey presto, CPU usage down to 1% and I have had no further instances of that problem.

It may be that because I have a USB memory stick plugged in on USB1 to keep logs AND that WAN3 was on but not set up, this could be the reason. However, as the 2860 tells me that it knows there is a USB stick in USB1 it SHOULD automatically disable WAN3, but it doesn't.

3. If like me, you like play around switching between WAN1 and then WAN2 using the BTO modem, then I have found that I need to do a factory reset and set up a new config, even if I am just switching between WAN & WAN2. Something seems to get screwed up in the configuration and the only way out is to zero it all and start again. I now have two working config files but I cannot just switch between them, I have to FR first and then load the config, then it works.

I hope these few words will save someone hours of pain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2014 11:07 #81538 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Advice for 2860 newbies - like me
At the 1st suggestion i also believe having ready the correct settings from the begin before connecting the modem to the line, will help avoiding few reboots later during the setup, so the DLM will not see it as fault

2nd for the TBB monitor to work ... at management > untick disable ping from internet, that should make the TBB monitor to work

For the 3rd issue ... once i see you doing some tests :) (ex partner here 8) ) , i have one suggestion to try on for experiment ... enable load balance policy , enable load balance/route policy (all to any) next time you will use each wan, so when will swap next times wans it will be ticked each wan
I know is for 2 lines but just to try if each wan is ticked there will make the same issue

Latest firmware is 3.7.4.3

• marjohn56
  • Topic Author
More
29 Oct 2014 11:49 #81539 by marjohn56
Replied by marjohn56 on topic Re: Advice for 2860 newbies - like me
I think with issue three it's probably the USB getting confused. I have tried it with both WAN1 & WAN2 set up at one stage and although I had no issues with the 2860 freezing, I could not get it to connect on WAN2 using option 61 ( Sky MER -DHCP ) when that was also enabled on WAN1, hence now the use of two config files.

At present I have a stable if slower than it should be connection, and whilst I am waiting for the DLM to restore I shall not be doing any further experiments! 8)

Moderators: Sami