DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860 with two AP900s and 2 ADSL connections?

• amarshall
  • Topic Author
More
07 Nov 2014 00:34 #81687 by amarshall
Hi

So I am just buying the 2860n+ along with 2 AP900's for my 3 floor office.

I have a training room and want to offer delegates guest Wifi using the LAN2 option on the AP900 with a guest SSID and then use the LAN1 with our internal SSID for the employees.
The AP900's will be connected via a Gigabit PPoE cables and a Gigabit connection back to the 2860n+.

On the Desks in the office area we use Voip phones and will connect these via a powerline type setup and link this into the 2860n+ directly.

While I only have a single ADSL service at the moment I am considering getting a second so that I can run LAN1 (Team WiFi F+P Lan) via ADSL circuit 1 and then connect LAN2 (the Guest WiFi) and LAN3 (VoIP using Powerline cabling) into the second ADSL circuit with priority to the VoIP traffic...

Is this possible with the setup as I have described...??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2014 09:56 #81688 by sicon
Yes but you would be better off using VLANs and not the LANB option on the AP900s.
this way you would only need 1 Ethernet cable going into each AP900 and the 2860 would control all the DHCP etc.

• amarshall
  • Topic Author
More
07 Nov 2014 14:49 #81693 by amarshall
Replied by amarshall on topic Re: 2860 with two AP900s and 2 ADSL connections?

sicon wrote: Yes but you would be better off using VLANs and not the LANB option on the AP900s.
this way you would only need 1 Ethernet cable going into each AP900 and the 2860 would control all the DHCP etc.

running the 2 cables to each isnt really my question however you make a good point about the VLANs - I would be better off because its easier or more secure/segregated or offers better features etc? I would be grateful if you would help me understand why?

If I set it up as you suggest is it possible to have all voip + guest VLAN's routed to circuit 2 leaving office team browsing f&p etc routed to circuit 1?

More
07 Nov 2014 15:30 #81694 by sicon
Most commonly you can use VLANs to:
Create a safe guest network that separates guest users’ traffic from company network assets
Group employees using the same data-intensive applications, such as voice-over-IP (VoIP) phones
Restrict access to highly sensitive data by separating financial and HR employees, for example,  from the rest of the network
You can use VLANs to improve network security by, essentially, putting all sensitive traffic and the users who have access to it on a separate network. No other types of traffic can travel on that VLAN and only authorized users have access to it, whether it’s a guest network or a VLAN for your financial application users. VLANs can also improve network performance, management, security and usability for data-intensive applications by limiting broadcasts to just a certain type of traffic, such as VoIP.

Yes you can have the different VLANs going out the separate Circuits, you need to use the Load Balance polies in the 2860....
Create a policy for each VLAN source and select the destination of the WAN interface you want it to use.

• amarshall
  • Topic Author
More
07 Nov 2014 21:42 #81697 by amarshall
Replied by amarshall on topic Re: 2860 with two AP900s and 2 ADSL connections?
Thats great - thank you

Moderators: Sami