DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor Draytek 2830: bridge mode or true DMZ on Wan2

More
13 Nov 2014 20:47 #81757 by flyus
Hello,

I have a dedicated FTTC line for my Polycom HDX device on a UK fibre service. It goes internet -> BT modem -> Draytek 2830 Wan 2 port -> Polycom HDX. Because no other device is going to use the connection and because the Polycom is so sensitive to any NAT, I want it to have a public IP or be under true DMZ. All of the traffic needs to go to Polycom without any NAT. I can't, however, select true DMZ on wan2, and I also can't seem to find the way to put it in bridge mode (so that I could program the public IP into the Polycom). Could anybody advise?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2014 07:52 #81762 by jmccullo
Hi - any reason that you're going via the Draytek? If you just plugged the Polycom straight into the BT Modem wouldn't that achieve what you're after?

More
14 Nov 2014 10:34 #81765 by flyus
Heya, the router is where the authentication information is stored. I need to log-in to the ISP, the Polycom doesn't have such option unfortunately. Yes, plugging it straight into the modem would be perfect for me. I need the router just to do the authentication. Literally. If that's not possible on the Draytek, do you know any routers that could do it?

More
15 Nov 2014 10:54 #81791 by jmccullo
I think your problem might be that as soon as you put whatever device into bridge mode, then you lose the ability to do the authentification (as it expects the device behind it to do it - in your case the Polycom) and any DMZ will involve using NAT. You could have a word with BT to see if they had any ideas, especially if they can remove the authentification requirement, but I suspect they'll not be able to help.

My only thoughts are:
1. Get BT to remove authentification requirement.
2. Get BT to allocate you further IP addresses and then run the router in "routing" mode rather than "NAT" mode. I'm not sure if the 2830 supports this, but my 2960 certainly does in PPPoE mode. That way the Wan port would take the first external IP address and the polycom the second. Static routes could then be configured to route everything from the Polycom via the router and everything that comes into the router on the second address to the polycom. I have no idea if this would work, but it sounds feasible.
3. Use IPv6 - this assumes that BT support it and all of the devices that you're tring to connect with use it - unlikely.

Hopefully some stuff to think about at least.

Ta John

More
16 Nov 2014 20:21 #81815 by flyus
Cheers John. The first thing I am going to try is to unlock the BT modem (HG612) as it can be used as a router once unlocked. This will allow me to connect the Polycom directly into modem Lan1 port. That router is much more simple and hopefully I will find some setting that works. I was reading the manual and there's something called DHCP transparent transmission which I think might do the job. I would then use modem Lan2 port for the Draytek (for wireless, etc.). If that doesn't help, I'll try one of your suggested methods. Thanks.

Moderators: Sami