DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2830 & google hangout causing DNS issue

More
18 Nov 2014 21:54 #81853 by glynj
Hi,

My 2830N works fine 99% of the time.

However, sometimes (about 1 in 10 times) when I use google hangout (how we communicate at work). It drops the connection and all I get is "resolving host" for any web page I visit (i.e. appears to loose DNS connection). I generally find that to resolve this I have to turn the router off/on and also reboot my computer. I have has this occur on various computers (my work Dell laptop & my home Macbook Air), so I believe it's the router (also I use hangouts many times a day when working from the office without issue).

I connect to a "guest" SSID when working from home. Generally it occurs when joining a meeting whilst working, so my priority when it happens is to get back up and running asap, rather than fiddling around with settings, but I'm pretty sure that I have noticed that I can connect via other SSID's, but it takes down the internet for others on the guest SSID (i.e. my wife's laptop if she is also WFH - I'm not popular).

I have firmware rev 3.6.7.1 sb (not absolute latest, but nothing relevant in latest's release notes)
I connect via a fibre modem on WAN2 (the problem occurred more frequently on ADSL [WAN1] before moving house)

Anyone else experience the same?
Any suggestions on how to try to debug this?

Thanks in advance
Glyn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2014 00:54 #81854 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2830 & google hangout causing DNS issue
Go at Lan>General setup>details page and set the dns you prefer manually at the right small window
on exit Lan General setup, tick the small box force router to use dns for Lan 1 and reboot manual the modem to see if is better

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami