DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2830 permanent VPN connection to remote gateway

• markdym1
  • Topic Author
More
19 Nov 2014 08:49 #81855 by markdym1
Hi

We use a 2830 router at our office and it works fine. We have a couple of staff working at a remote office who piggy-back on another business's network and use their gateway to VPN to our network.

This business wants to separate the remote users from their network. The want us to install a wireless device and establish a permanent VPN connection between the offices.

We have bought a 2830n Plus router to install at the remote office (which should be arriving today). I am quite happy configuring both routers for the permanent VPN connection, but because the 2830n Plus will not be the gateway at the remote office, I would appreciate a little help with pointing it at the remote office's gateway. This is the layout (Wi-Fi device will be the 2830n Plus):

http://imageshack.com/a/img911/2627/NVqEp7.jpg

I have seen under the WAN settings on our 2830 that there is a WAN2 Ethernet/Auto Negotiation option. Is this where I would configure the 2830n Plus to connect to the remote office gateway?

I've never done this before so if anyone can help I will be very grateful.

Thanks

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• markdym1
  • Topic Author
More
19 Nov 2014 15:47 #81861 by markdym1
Additionally, are there any PC configuration settings that need to be made?

[Edit]
Is this correct for the remote router that will be dialing in to our network:

I have disabled the ADSL connection settings under WAN > General Setup > WAN1 (ADSL)

I have disabled the ADSL settings under WAN > Internet Access > WAN1 (ADSL)

I have configured the Ethernet settings under WAN > Internet Access > WAN2 (Ethernet) as:

Static or Dynamic IP > static IP, subnet mask and gateway defined. (Enable + Specify an address)

I have configured the routers according to the LAN to LAN documentation on Draytek's site

The VPN is one-way, coming from the remote wi-fi on the 2830n-plus to our Vigor 2830.

Is there anything else that needs to be done?

If anyone has any further suggestions can they post them, please?

Thanks!

• markdym1
  • Topic Author
More
24 Nov 2014 12:35 #81904 by markdym1
Well, that did not work.

We have staff that work remotely from different places. After setting up the LAN to LAN and before deploying the remote Draytek router remote staff were unable to connect to our network. I had missed this point:

Is it possible to set up a LAN to LAN VPN connection and to allow staff to connect using the VPN connector in the Windows Network adaptors list?

[Edit]
Ahh - I think I've got it. I had ticked all the options but should have unticked PPTP which is what the Windows connector uses. Is that right?

Moderators: Sami