DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Changing default router IP Address - update Gateway?

• cluelesscris
  • Topic Author
More
10 Dec 2014 09:40 #82061 by cluelesscris
I have just installed a 2860n to replace an utterly frustrating and useless BT HUB5.

Everything is up and working other than our (very) old CCTV system has had to be disconnected from the LAN because it is set to use the IP address 192.168.1.1 which is the same as the default address for the router and gateway.

Unfortunately, there is no support for the CCTV system we have no manuals and have tried everything to get to the web admin (which it must have) and failed but our security depends on external access for remote monitoring.

So, I need to change the router IP address - perhaps to 192.168.1.254 (which was the default on the old HUB 4 and the new HUB 5 (we have just upgraded to fibre).

Before I screw everything up I thought I would check to make sure I get it right first time.

If I go in and change the IP Address for LAN 1 to 192.168.1.254 am I correct in assuming that I must also change the Gateway IP address for the DHCP server to match?

Is there anything else I need to do so I don't break anything.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2014 12:36 #82068 by marjohn56
Yes indeed.

• cluelesscris
  • Topic Author
More
10 Dec 2014 14:52 #82070 by cluelesscris
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm hovering above novice at this stuff and doubt creeps in all the time!

More
10 Dec 2014 16:11 #82073 by marjohn56
:)

No worries. I have the same address on mine, not because of a static address I cannot change, I just prefer 254 as my gateway, always find that new kit comes as 192.168.1.1 or 0.1, saves having to reconfig the router everytime.

Moderators: Sami