DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2830vn becoming increasingly erratic

• marcw
  • Topic Author
More
11 Dec 2014 00:07 #82083 by marcw
My 2830vn seems to be getting more and more erratic.

Code:
Model Name : Vigor2830Vn Firmware Version : 3.6.4_db_232201 Build Date/Time : Mar 19 2013 11:34:48

It will rattle along nicely for days- and then it will suddenly lose the will to route. The wifi SSIDs disappear from view, I can't connect even to the router admin page.

A power-cycle seems to sort it out. The intervals between having to power-cycle the device seem to be getting shorter, though: today, I've had to reboot twice just to keep things going.

Is this a sign of failing hardware? Or some firmware corruption? A bad PSU?

Do I need a firmware upgrade?

Has anyone had a similar experience, and did it end well?

Should I buy something else now, while I still have a semi-reliable internet connection?

I do like the Vigor, despite the somewhat odd control panel and minimal help. It seemed like the best option at the time for what I wanted - multi-NAT (I have an 8-IP block), Multi-SSID with isolation option, decent firewall.

But they do seem to have a relatively short lifespan - I had a 2820 before this that "bricked" during a firmware update and I've never managed to recover it.

Is there something better that does all the same tricks?

--
Marc

Cleopatra Consultants Ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2014 12:41 #82085 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2830vn becoming increasingly erratic
Hi, for the issue with the 2820 follow the link in the post here
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19816#p82024
are few others they did mange to recovery their unit

For the issue with the 2830
Update from the download pages to the latest one & make sure you have the correct modem
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-vigor-2830-dual-band

Use the *rst* file extension for a clean install & all settings back from the begin manual (don't use backup file because it may keep bugs)
It should be working good now, well at least with me i had running about 4 months ( i change units from time to time as i own 3-4 draytek models) without issue

• marcw
  • Topic Author
More
11 Dec 2014 13:23 #82086 by marcw
Replied by marcw on topic Re: 2830vn becoming increasingly erratic
OK, from the Wireless LAN setup page, it is dual-band.

So, I potentially need a different firmware?

What I currently have is 3.6.4_db_232201

--
Marc

• marcw
  • Topic Author
More
11 Dec 2014 13:26 #82087 by marcw
Replied by marcw on topic Re: 2830vn becoming increasingly erratic

babis3g wrote: Hi, for the issue with the 2820 follow the link in the post here
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19816#p82024
are few others they did mange to recovery their unit

I'll try that, thanks.

babis3g wrote:
For the issue with the 2830
Update from the download pages to the latest one & make sure you have the correct modem
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-vigor-2830-dual-band

Use the *rst* file extension for a clean install & all settings back from the begin manual (don't use backup file because it may keep bugs)
It should be working good now, well at least with me i had running about 4 months ( i change units from time to time as i own 3-4 draytek models) without issue

You mean do a reset of the router and set up all the rules etc from scratch? Ugh.

That''s not something I relish- I'd have to go through all the screens and take screenshots, to make sure everything goes back correctly.
Perhaps that can wait for the Christmas break. :)

--
Marc

More
11 Dec 2014 16:27 #82088 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2830vn becoming increasingly erratic
Yes keep note with screenshot or write down your settings

If you use the *all* file will keep previous settings (you can do manually any hard reset from the hardware button but again will lost any data
If you use the *rst* file extension will reset & delete automatic any previous settings
If updating firmware the best is to use the *rst* file extension
If you want to change modem code (for stability in the adsl line) the use of "all* file is fine (between same firmwares version
Code:
Ensure you unzip the files before starting the firmware upgrade procedure. If you want to reset the router to factory defaults during the upgrade/reflash or you are concerned that your settings have been corrupted, you can upload the firmware file ending in .RST, otherwise use the .ALL file. Never change the filenames of the .ALL or .RST files.

Before update just go at maintenance menu and backup your data if anything goes wrong so you can come back at your previous firmware easy

Moderators: Sami