DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Why so many reboots on changes

• nigpig
  • Topic Author
More
29 Dec 2014 18:35 #82205 by nigpig
Why so many reboots on changes was created by nigpig
I have used Draytek products for 11 years now and have not understood why a reboot is often the only option when a change is made involving the WAN1 or 2 setups.
I have upgraded to the Vigor 2860vn+ with latest firmware and all that...
I went to change balancing policy on the WAN, General Setup page. I changed the load balancing mode to "according to speed" and then the device needed a restart.
Is this down to the chip or software? It is not very dynamic, but a real pain as the rooter is lost for 20 seconds or more!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2014 13:15 #82211 by scroucher
Replied by scroucher on topic Re: Why so many reboots on changes
The changes are usually applied straight away without a reboot so just click on another menu option to escape the reboot prompt. It is worth doing a reboot once you've finished adding all of your changes.

Steve

More
30 Dec 2014 15:24 #82212 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Why so many reboots on changes
The changes are saved right away, yes, but not necessarily active. The reason a reboot is required is sometimes because some of the lower level stuff is loaded/set up at boot time and then just runs and runs. To change that setup, the system as to reboot in order that those routines load a new pattern...a bit like a truck returning to its depot to get new instructions ;-).. Well, that's my understanding. So, if you don't need the changes active right away, or have other changes to make firstly, crouched is right, you can save and then bypass the reboot until you're ready. Same with windows updates.

Forum Administrator

More
31 Dec 2014 16:05 #82223 by takeo_ischi
Replied by takeo_ischi on topic Re: Why so many reboots on changes

nigpig wrote: I have used Draytek products for 11 years now and have not understood why a reboot is often the only option when a change is made involving the WAN1 or 2 setups.
I have upgraded to the Vigor 2860vn+ with latest firmware and all that...
I went to change balancing policy on the WAN, General Setup page. I changed the load balancing mode to "according to speed" and then the device needed a restart.
Is this down to the chip or software? It is not very dynamic, but a real pain as the rooter is lost for 20 seconds or more!!!

I agree it's a bit rubbish; FireBrick routers supposedly only go down for about a second or so whilst rebooting.

Moderators: Sami