DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2920 WAN 2 Not Running at Gigabit Speeds

• lightpathit
  • Topic Author
More
08 Jan 2015 15:14 #82276 by lightpathit
2920 WAN 2 Not Running at Gigabit Speeds was created by lightpathit
We have a Draytek 2920 that is connected to a Virgin Media 152MB line. Unfortuanately we are only able to get 98MB from it. The line is configured to use WAN 2 on the router which is advertised as Gigabit in speed. When we go into WAN - General Setup - WAN2 it says Physical Mode: Ethernet (this cannot be changed) and if we choose Physical Type, there are only 10M or 100M half or full duplex. We took a look at WAN 1 too just in case, but this is exactly the same. Am I missing something on how to enable this? Has anyone else had the same problems?

Many thanks in advance.

Martin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2015 18:01 #82279 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2920 WAN 2 Not Running at Gigabit Speeds
For giga wan you need to connect the SH 2 at the giga wan (wan 2) it does state giga wan port ... if i remember when had virgin media you need to use or Lan 1 or Lan 4 for best results then to the incoming wan 2 (giga stated) of the 2920
Have you tried at the 2920 the physical mode auto or 100 half/full duplex? if will make any difference?

Also can you tell me, now at the Lan port of the 2920 where the cable is connected (to pc) what are the green leds next of the cable? (left & right led)

More
09 Jan 2015 10:13 #82284 by voodle
The 2920's chipset is the limitation - http://web.archive.org/web/20130915090425/http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/comparison.html
You need a 2925 to get the full speed out of that line.

I think when the 2920 was designed, the gigabit port may have made a difference, but as more features got put in, the throughput ended up being around 100megs, regardless of the port type :/

• lightpathit
  • Topic Author
More
14 Jan 2015 16:29 #82331 by lightpathit
Replied by lightpathit on topic Re: 2920 WAN 2 Not Running at Gigabit Speeds
Thank you both for your advice. We had a 2860 lying around and tested with that and it worked at full speed. We will probably just get a suitable replacement. It is rather cheeky to advertise a product with a gigabit connection that doesn't do anything near gigabit speeds.

More
14 Jan 2015 17:13 #82336 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2920 WAN 2 Not Running at Gigabit Speeds
As voodle said it may use some memory
From experience ... disable wan 1 & usb if you not using (or if you do try just for testing)
The 2920 was originally up to 90 mbps but by time is been updated to 150 mbps ... perhaps after the update with heavy use or such a high speed may slow down the router, so disable the usb & wan 1 for testing

Note
When had VM 100mbps service was getting all 105mbps full speed with my 2920 & my pc had 10/100 ethernet card only ... but i am not any longer with VM

More
14 Jan 2015 20:57 #82339 by the pit
Replied by the pit on topic Re: 2920 WAN 2 Not Running at Gigabit Speeds
Disabling the firewall and you may get closer to the virgins speed. As ever with virgin there's always the curse of congestion which also limits your speeds.

Moderators: Sami