DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

WhiteList "Human-Readable" Names

• ytene
  • Topic Author
More
13 Jan 2015 09:45 #82306 by ytene
WhiteList "Human-Readable" Names was created by ytene
Having just gone through the exercise of replacing my 2850n with a 2860Vn-plus, I've just had to go through the process of manually re-entering my Wi-Fi whitelist [I block all access to non-white-listed devices] in order to allow my personal equipment to connect. Looking at the device list [in the Access Control section], all I have to work with is a long list of 12-digit hex strings.

Never mind the potential for transcription errors - these are largely meaningless blocks of data to me... It would make a *massive* difference to legibility if each of these entries could be partnered with a simple alpha field for a human-readable name. So I could have "iPad No. 2" or "Fred's Acer" or something like that. I do appreciate that doing this would require a certain amount of NV-RAM to be available, and that for any lengthy whitelist the capacity required could quickly run to a good few Kb... but surely that has to be possible with the falling price of static RAM chips?

If Draytek could couple this with my previous suggestion [the import/export capability for whitelist entries] then we would end up with an extremely powerful combination, because I could export a list from one machine, remove redundant entries by hand, and quickly import to a new router. For anyone managing a network of these devices, it would simply administration.

In a super-sophisticated future state we might even create the ability to remotely push these files via sftp, or allow the routers to periodically check from a known IP address on the internal network segment, and pull down a replacement config file - so that a network administrator only needed to update one master whitelist in one place. Those, however, would be for a wishlist in the far future - for now some basic utility would be a fantastic improvement...

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2015 17:29 #82319 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: WhiteList "Human-Readable" Names
you can import the whole config from the 2850 to the 2860 can't you? Surely that would be easier than the way you're moving the settings across?
But yeah, that would be a nice feature, the same applies to the station list, that could show hostnames (or configured names, following your suggestion) maybe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami