DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

How to access modems when their internet connection is down?

More
13 Jan 2015 21:00 #82321 by willr
I'm using a vigor 3200 multi-wan router and 2 ISP provided adsl modem/routers. When the modems internet connections go down the vigor's wan connectivity check fails and the links status (shown in the router status page) shows 'disconnected'** and I cannot access the modem to troubleshoot/reconfigure but I need to access it to fix the internet connection, what can I do?

Ideally, when the connectivity check fails I want to still be able to access the modem by its local IP but the router will not send any internet traffic through it.

Details:

My lan devices (PCs, WAPs etc.) are connected to a switch which in turn is connected to the vigor's lan port. The vigors wan ports (1&2) are connected to the modems Lan ports

The modems are consumer ISP provided combos (modem/router/switch) with the vigor 3200's wan interface IPs setup in their DMZ's (to mitigate double NAT issues). They cannot function in bridge mode and the connection is configured through their web interfaces.

The vigor 3200 pings 8.8.8.8 to check internet connectivity (I cannot use the ARP connectivity check because the vigor wan interface's gateway is the modem, so even if the modem's internet connection fails the modem is still accessible from the router and the check reports everything is ok).

Vigor 3200 Lan interface 192.168.1.1
Wan interfaces(& gateways) 192.168.2.2 (192.168.2.1)
192.168.3.2 (192.168.3.1)

Consumer combos Lan interfaces 192.168.2.1
Consumer combo Wan interface ip's are assigned by the ISPs.

**interestingly whilst the vigor shows the modem as 'disconnected' and I cannot access it, clearly the router can access it since it continues to do the ping test and changes to connected when the internet connection is reinstated.

A quick response would be hugely appreciated!

Many thanks in advance, Will

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2015 17:06 #82335 by willr
Concise version:

Essentially all I need is a setting to enforce that a WAN
interface on the router is only used for accessing 192.168.2.1 (the modems IP) not any other internet bound traffic.

Regards,
Will

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami