DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Need suggestions for diagnosing sudden slowdown

• allat39
  • Topic Author
More
18 Jan 2015 19:21 #82421 by allat39

Hi guys

Just this afternoon, ADSL downloading has been painfully slow. Speeds of around 100 kbps whereas normally around 1000. Even dropping to just 11 as I write this.

What suggestions for discovering please?
All computers are connected via Wi-Fi.
The only change I tried today was to change Wifi security on the 2850vn router from 'WPA+WPA2' to 'WPA2' only.

Thanks

What I have checked..
Downdetector - no ISP issues
Tried changing default bandwidth from 2000 to 4000

Data Monitor:
IP TX RX Sessions
1 192.168.1.11 7 / 300 398 / 4000 8
2 192.168.1.9 352 / 300+ 12 / 4000 35
3 192.168.1.16 0 / 300 0 / 4000 22
4 192.168.1.3 --- --- 1
5 192.168.1.10 --- --- 1

Physical Connection
ADSL Status Mode State Up Speed Down Speed SNR Margin Loop Att.
G.DMT SHOWTIME 768000 5440000 4 50

Vigor 2850vn.

Any help appreciated
:!: :| :|

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2015 04:07 #82423 by babis3g
You need to use a wired pc for testing download speed and see if still slow down browsing
Via wifi is not stable for testing, more far from the modem's antennas, the lower speed will be (apart the actual speed is coming to the modem may be more lower)

However i can see the snr margin (from the stats) is gone low to 4db which is not good, have you tried any other adsl filter? or place the modem far from speakers, tv, pc (any electric sources etc
Also place the modem in clear place area where the wifi will not blocked & can reach the devices more easy

50db loop attenuator means you are far from the exchange, sensitive adsl line

• allat39
  • Topic Author
More
19 Jan 2015 07:31 #82424 by allat39

babis3g wrote: You need to use a wired pc for testing download speed and see if still slow down browsing
Via wifi is not stable for testing, more far from the modem's antennas, the lower speed will be (apart the actual speed is coming to the modem may be more lower)

However i can see the snr margin (from the stats) is gone low to 4db which is not good, have you tried any other adsl filter? or place the modem far from speakers, tv, pc (any electric sources etc
Also place the modem in clear place area where the wifi will not blocked & can reach the devices more easy

50db loop attenuator means you are far from the exchange, sensitive adsl line

Thank you babis3g. Your help is appreciated.
I will follow up your answers with some changes including a new filter - it simply rules it out.

Just for info, rebooting the router helped temporarily, but from your list I am sure the site of the router (under the TV) must be a real hindrance! You are right that we are unfortunately a way from the exchange. Looking forward to fibre coming to the area hopefully later this year.

Question
Shall I extend the telephone cable from the master socket and re-site the router...... or should I turn off the wifi on the router and use an AP800 access point instead ?
I dont know which is likely to make matters worse.

More
19 Jan 2015 10:09 #82425 by babis3g
-Fist No Do Not really extend the cable from master socket to the modem, i would not recommend more than 1-2 meters max long for your line
(the ones from the modem boxes are around 1,8 meter and their quality is ok/good)

Is better to run around the wall (on the floor under the carpet) an rj45 (from the lan of the 2850) as many meters you need (can use up to 100 meters if is a good quality - but don't get so long because some modems don't have so much power :) to handle it)

-Second use modem code from UK download page 2471201 ... this is the best you can get

-If is behind the tv is better wall mount the 2850 higher than the tv (about half meter at least should be fine from electromagnetic interface & also for not blocking the wifi) ...
OR get a small shelf (random pics) where the 2850 can look nicer & later if in the future you move the modem can add decoration there ... or place the AP
http://rusticlogdecor.com/media/2c99813e573b551ffff8158ffffe415.JPG
http://rusticlogdecor.com/media/Log$20Shelf.$20small.0001.JPG

-The filter may not helps really but is worth having one more

-If leave the modem behind the tv as it is ... you can get an AP (example AP800 as you said) for your internet connection ...but
is better to connect it via lan cable (rj45)
the reason is ... if you connect it via wifi, it will lose 1/3 of the actual speed
example if your poor internet connection is 5mbps, it will give out to clients 3 mbps
This is not fault of the AP800 but wifi extensions loose as general rule 1/3 of signal via wifi (except the lose of signal when far from the AP)...
where wired to the AP(2850>AP800) will get all full speed (then you will only have to deal with more far from the antennas, more lower speed)

-There is an option as well (instead of another AP) for Power LInes (perhaps better if you have other floors) ... is very easy, but personal never involved so you will have to ask or search for it ... but then again for the first floor still needs to place higher the 2850

- I tried to give you all possible options ... but If still have line issue come back :)

• allat39
  • Topic Author
More
19 Jan 2015 10:18 #82426 by allat39

babis3g wrote: -Fist No Do Not really extend the cable from master socket to the modem, i would not recommend more than 1-2 meters max long for your line
(the ones from the modem boxes are around 1,8 meter and their quality is ok/good)

Is better to run around the wall (on the floor under the carpet) an rj45 (from the lan of the 2850) as many meters you need (can use up to 100 meters if is a good quality - but don't get so long because some modems don't have so much power :) to handle it)

-Second use modem code from UK download page 2471201 ... this is the best you can get

-If is behind the tv is better wall mount the 2850 higher than the tv (about half meter at least should be fine from electromagnetic interface & also for not blocking the wifi) ...
OR get a small shelf (random pics) where the 2850 can look nicer & later if in the future you move the modem can add decoration there ... or place the AP
http://rusticlogdecor.com/media/2c99813e573b551ffff8158ffffe415.JPG
http://rusticlogdecor.com/media/Log$20Shelf.$20small.0001.JPG

-The filter may not helps really but is worth having one more

-If leave the modem behind the tv as it is ... you can get an AP (example AP800 as you said) for your internet connection ...but
is better to connect it via lan cable (rj45)
the reason is ... if you connect it via wifi, it will lose 1/3 of the actual speed
example if your poor internet connection is 5mbps, it will give out to clients 3 mbps
This is not fault of the AP800 but wifi extensions loose as general rule 1/3 of signal via wifi (except the lose of signal when far from the AP)...
where wired to the AP(2850>AP800) will get all full speed (then you will only have to deal with more far from the antennas, more lower speed)

-There is an option as well (instead of another AP) for Power LInes (perhaps better if you have other floors) ... is very easy, but personal never involved so you will have to ask or search for it

- I tried to give you all possible options ... but If still have line issue come back :)

Thanks babis3g, Thats excellent. You've helped us again!
Much appreciated.

More
19 Jan 2015 10:20 #82427 by babis3g
welcome, any more connection issues if the 2850 get higher than tv comeback :)

Moderators: Sami