DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Help with setting up VLAN on Vigor2920n

• wyerd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 May 2015 01:37 #1 by wyerd
I have a rough idea of the functionality of VLANs, but it's the implementation that I'm having problems with, especially on the Draytek.

I have a Vigor2920n router connected to a HP Procurve 1810G-24 managed switch on port 1. All the hosts are connected to the switch including a Windows Home Sever 2011 which runs DHCP and DNS for the LAN and WiFi which is also provided by a Cisco 1142 access point.

What I'd like to do is put two Samsung Smart BD players on a VLAN so I can provide them a SmartDNS address. This will then allow them to run apps from other countries. I can add the DNS in the device settings, but I also want to add other streaming devices that don't allow manual configuration such as Roku, Google Chromecast , Apple TV which pick them up from the DHCP settings on the router or server.

I'd like to setup the VLAN using tagging rather than port based so there'd be a trunk to the switch, but I'm not sure how to configure this on the Draytek. I find it very confusing and get strange messages such as "Please setup one VLAN group at least! Please check port 2" even if I don't want any on ports 2,3 or 4.

Can anyone explain how the VLAN is set up?

Thanks for any help and advice.
David.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami