DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Strange connectivity issue [ resolved ]

More
16 Oct 2016 10:14 #1 by zz9pa
Ok
This one is odd - and I don't know how to troubleshoot it.

My internet connection through the router is fine for almost all sites - but - it wont connect to my own website (*completely hosted externally) and email server. There might be other sites/ip address ranges - but I've not come across them yet.

If i reboot the router - it will allow access for a short while - then it stops working again.
This has only started to happen recently - nothing has changed in the configuration of the router.

I'm using a Vigor 2850Vn via BT Infinity, with the latest draytek firmware.

Any thoughts or ideas ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2016 17:30 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Strange connectivity issue
A friend of mine had a similar problem with his site which was on a shared IP hosted by someone else and found that the web host was blocking his home IP address as he had apparently attempted too many logins with the wrong credentials - he was using a browser with password memory and forgot that the password had been changed. Can you access it from a different IP - eg from your phone? If so I'd check with your host and see if they've blacklisted you, although I'm not sure how the re-booting could work?

More
17 Oct 2016 08:34 #3 by zz9pa
Replied by zz9pa on topic Re: Strange connectivity issue
I don't think its that - rebooting my router will reset the connection and allow me to get to the page for a while.

I guess its possible that it re-black lists me after getting a different IP address - but - so quickly?

More
17 Oct 2016 10:56 #4 by jedi98
Replied by jedi98 on topic Re: Strange connectivity issue
Have you got anything in your local net that uploads to the external web server?

More
17 Oct 2016 11:12 #5 by zz9pa
Replied by zz9pa on topic Re: Strange connectivity issue

Piste Basher wrote: A friend of mine had a similar problem with his site which was on a shared IP hosted by someone else and found that the web host was blocking his home IP address as he had apparently attempted too many logins with the wrong credentials - he was using a browser with password memory and forgot that the password had been changed. Can you access it from a different IP - eg from your phone? If so I'd check with your host and see if they've blacklisted you, although I'm not sure how the re-booting could work?

Yep - this was it - got back in touch with the "hoster"
And i'd managed to get into the fail2ban list somehow - should hopefully be resolved now.

Moderators: ChrisSami