DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

How to keep my credit card machine secure

• kirton
  • Topic Author
More
09 Nov 2016 20:58 #1 by kirton
Hi Folks,
My main router is a Vigor 2860N+. Connected to it I have a credit card machine. Every month Trusteer do a security scan and this month I have failed. The report states that I am vulnerable to Birthday/Sweet32 attacks. Can anyone tell me the changes I must make to plug the gap? My firmware is 3.8.4_BT

Thanks in advance :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2016 17:13 #2 by footsore
Replied by footsore on topic Re: How to keep my credit card machine secure
Presumably you have searched the internet.
https://sweet32.info

So likely VPN for TLS or SSL are the cause. Is turning off VPN access an option?
Dave

More
11 Nov 2016 11:45 #3 by mbames

by capturing around 785 GB of traffic

Well that rules out anyone not an on unlimited service, as they'd soon be bankrupt with the excess data costs :lol:

• kirton
  • Topic Author
More
16 Nov 2016 17:07 #4 by kirton
Draytek offered the below suggestion.

I would suggest:
- checking if VPN services are disabled, under 'VPN and Remote Access -- Remote Access Control Setup'
- disabling TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 (and SSL 3.0) under 'System Maintenance -- Management' (TLS/SSL Encryption Setup section)

I do not use VPN services so disabling it was not a problem. I disabled the rest, ran a Trustwave scan and it came back as "Passed".

Thanks Draytek support!

I hope this post helps. :)

More
21 Nov 2016 17:20 #5 by footsore
Replied by footsore on topic Re: How to keep my credit card machine secure
Glad you got it sorted - and exactly where I had directed you to - VPN being the problem.

If you weren't using VPN I would question why it was turned on. If you just plugged in the router from the box and left VPN on when not required I wonder if you have been through and turned on/off other things that are open or shouldn't be. Such as the firewall which I think defaults to off. It may be worth working through the router and asking yourself if stuff should be on/off. Is FTP on or required?

Dave

Moderators: ChrisSami