DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860 not making IPv6 PPP connection to BT Infinity

• andyt22
  • Topic Author
More
04 Aug 2017 10:11 #1 by andyt22
I have bought a Draytek 2860 specifically so that I can get IPv6 connectivity on my BT Infinity business connection and so far I have managed to get this set up with everything working well on the IPv4 side, including 13 static IP addresses, using the built-in VDSL2/WAN1 modem. But I can't get an IPv6 address and I have noticed that the Online Status > Physical Connection > IPv6 > WAN1 status page is reporting an Up Time that climbs from zero to about 18 seconds before resetting to zero again so it looks like there is a PPP connection issue here. (The reported IPv4 Up Time is equal to the time the 2860 has been up & running since the last reboot).

What could cause my IPv6 PPP login to fail? I'm not 100% sure IPv6 is actually available on my Infinity connection (I've asked about this over on the BT Business Community forum). I haven't yet tried using the original OpenReach HG612 VDSL modem I used to use with the BT Hub 3, instead of the 2860's WAN1 VDSL interface, but though I'd ask here in case I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2017 11:44 #2 by admin3
Does the BT Hub get an IPv6 connection used with that line?

I know that BT's home connections can use IPv6 PPP but I'm not sure on the status of the business connections.
If it works with the BT Hub but not the DrayTek, it's definitely worth reporting to the support team.

Forum Administrator

• andyt22
  • Topic Author
More
04 Aug 2017 13:08 #3 by andyt22
No it doesn't get an IPv6 connection with the old BT Business Hub 3 since it doesn't support IPv6. As far as I know, IPv6 first became available on the BT Hub 4 range.

Andy

• andyt22
  • Topic Author
More
05 Aug 2017 13:44 #4 by andyt22
I have since learnt from the BT business broadband forum that IPv6 is not available on business Infinity connections, although it has been rolled-out to all consumer Infinity connections since last autumn. According to a BT press release last Christmas, business Infinity connections were to have been enabled in the first quarter of this year.

Anyway, IPv6 isn't that important for me (it's my son who wants it actually) but I don't regret investing in the Draytek 2680 since it's infinitely (excuse the pun) more configurable than the BT Hub 3, I get a higher throughput on files transfers, etc and ssh connections to remote servers stay connected for days on end, not drop at random after a few hours or days.

I guess I'll have to wait until IPv6 is available on my connection.

Thanks those who replied,

Andy

More
05 Aug 2017 20:40 #5 by willcurtis
Hi Andy,

If you need IPv6 prior to BT making it available, you could set up a Hurricane Electric IPv6 Tunnelled service that would give your router and any IPv6 compatible devices a v6 address. Its quite straight forward to setup.

Check out https://tunnelbroker.net

Regards, Will.

• andyt22
  • Topic Author
More
06 Aug 2017 07:27 #6 by andyt22
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into this today.

Andy

Moderators: ChrisSami