Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2850n becoming unresponsive

• bloodbaz
  • Topic Author
More
20 Sep 2018 15:02 #1 by bloodbaz
Vigor 2850n becoming unresponsive was created by bloodbaz
Hello,
I've had a Vigor 2850n at home for about 5.5 years and use a site-to-site VPN with the same router at work.
It connects through Fibre Broadband with Zen Internet.

On a few occasions over the last couple of weeks, the router goes into a state whereby:
1) internet "appears" to drop out (pinging 8.8.4.4 shows a mixed bag of "Time outs" and replies with high latencies).
2) pinging the server itself through Gigabit LAN also shows hugely long lag times of 1000-3000ms (usually <1ms)
3) web interface is not responding/taking ages to display the login page
4) even tried SSH using Putty.exe and that takes a minute or more to respond - or connection is terminated.

A reboot doesn't fix the problem so I end up switching it off and running my Zen-supplied FritzBox for a day or so (which runs fine with solid connectivity).
When I come back to the router, it's fine for a bit (a day or two, or several hours) and then it starts playing up again.

I looked for a firmware update following the CRFS/VPN attacks (https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/security-advisories/kb-advisory-csrf-and-dns-dhcp-web-attacks) but there isn't a firmware update and the product is considered "legacy". Other than that, it is running the latest firmware.

I tried saving the backup, doing a factory reset and restoring backup but that hasn't stopped it happening again.

Can anyone suggest a cause? I'm sure it's not Broadband related and I'm bypassing WiFi when trying to access it and the internet.

Thanks, Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami