DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor2927ac and Virgin Hub 3

• brucewa
  • Topic Author
More
18 Jan 2021 11:35 #1 by brucewa
Vigor2927ac and Virgin Hub 3 was created by brucewa
I am about to put my Virgin Hub 3 which currently has a Lan IP address of 192.168.0.1 into Modem Mode and connect my Vigor2927ac via WAN port 2. As I have a largish number of devices with fixed IP addresses on my system, they are currently set up with gateway addresses of 192.168.0.1 Quest I have is - I dont want to have to change all of these device Gateway settings, can I set the Lan address of my Vigor2927 to 192.168.0.1 once I have connected to the Hub 3. I dont want to cause a network crash with clasjhing IP addresses. And secondly do I leave the DNS settings for the Fixed I devices on the system as-is, eg Virgin Hub gives DNS settings as 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100 currently. I assume these will be the values I also need to set up in the Vigor DHCP server.

Anybody? I think it will be OK but dont want to risk upsetting everything on the system.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2021 15:43 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Vigor2927ac and Virgin Hub 3

BruceWA wrote:
... can I set the Lan address of my Vigor2927 to 192.168.0.1 once I have connected to the Hub 3.

Yes.

When you put the Hub 3 into 'Modem Mode', the 192.168.0.1 address will disappear (because the Router section is disabled) and the Hub 3 will only be accessible via 192.168.100.1 (That's a DOCSIS standard/requirement I believe) - so there won't be a clash. You should still be able to access the Hub 3 on 192.168.100.1 (for management purposes), because it intercepts traffic which the Vigor will be sending to the VM Default Gateway (obviously only for that one address).

And secondly do I leave the DNS settings for the Fixed I devices on the system as-is...

If you don't specify any DNS addresses, the Vigor will probably get them via DHCP (and set them to the values you've given). I think that (by default) the Vigor will give its own address as DNS server, to its LAN Clients (though it seems to act as a transparent DNS cache, whether you want it to, or not).

You might want to look at using alternative DNS servers (such as OpenDNS or Quad9 ), for a bit of extra security. Last but not least, you could have a look at https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm and see how they all compare, performance-wise.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami