DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Blocking subnet not working

• mr2862
  • Topic Author
More
03 Feb 2021 21:30 #1 by mr2862
Blocking subnet not working was created by mr2862
On my 2862, I have LAN 3 (subnet 3) for PC's and LAN 4 (subnet 4) for "things" printers, heating system etc). In general I don't want LAN3 and 4 to see each other, but do want certain ports open (eg for printing).

So my plan was to have LAN3/4 inter-LAN routing ticked, then set up a subnet3-subnet4 blocking firewall rule and then rules to open certain ports. My problem is that I can't get subnet-wide blocking to work. I can block 1 IP at a time, but not a range of IP's, nor subnet - the rule just seems to be ignored.

Something like this works:
Source = 192.168.33.145
Destintaion = 192.168.44.0/24

but this doesn't:
Source = 192.168.33.0/24
Destination = 192.168.44.0/24

nor does this
Source = 192.168.33.10~192.168.33.100
Destination = 192.168.44.0/24

Why can't source be a subnet or range of IP's?
Is there another (better?) way to achieve the end goal?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2021 00:34 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Blocking subnet not working
It sounds like it ought to work...

Have you used the "Syslog [ ]" option to confirm the rules are/aren't firing, or is it from general observation of the results?

Does the Firewall >> Diagnose function shed any light?

FWIW, I did it the other way round (on my 2860) and set up a filter set, whose first rule was "Block if no further match" ... then added individual exceptions. I used subnet addresses in the 'block rule', though I defined them as IP objects.

• mr2862
  • Topic Author
More
14 Feb 2021 00:32 #3 by mr2862
Replied by mr2862 on topic Re: Blocking subnet not working
I tried all sorts of diagnoses. In the end, it turns out that if you use Wizard mode, when you select LAN/RT/VPN->LAN/RT/VPN, the LAN's are not always automatically ticked in the background (not sure exactly what conditions it does/doesn't work in) - but effectively, I had to go to advanced mode and click "Advanced" next to the LAN/RT/VPN->LAN/RT/VPN dropdown and then select the LAN's.

If I could work out how to paste an image, I'd show you what I mean, but it looks like that requires some sort of external pic host or something else that's too many steps for me to be working out this time of night :?

Moderators: ChrisSami