DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

VPN LAN to LAN missing profile content after config trasnfer

• marcusd
  • Topic Author
More
09 May 2023 07:49 #1 by marcusd
Hi all.

I replaced a Vigor 2862 with a 2866 over the weekend and used the configuration backup and restore method.
Everything seems OK on the new 2866 other than VPN.

Every profile I look at for LAN to LAN, even empty ones, so I can't just recreate, only contain 2 boxes, "Common Settings" and "TCPIP Network Settings". This seems to be the cause of one of the LAN to LAN profiles freezing the router, if I have WAN2 connected. If I

I'm hoping there will be a quick way around this, as some of the LAN to LAN profiles are a nightmare to get going, but suspect I'll have to program the whole thing from scratch as the configuration backup isn't fully compatible for LAN to LAN VPN setups between and 2862 and a 2866.

Any ideas folks? They were down for most of the weekend, so I'd rather not have to start from scratch. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• marcusd
  • Topic Author
More
09 May 2023 12:59 #2 by marcusd
OK more info here, which hopefully will prove useful to others.

I've found out that even resetting the 2865AC or 2866AC with a paper clip in the port, or via "Reboot System>Reboot with Factory Defaults", even though the IP is reset to 192.168.1.1, the admin user login back to factory and all settings appear blank, including the LAN to LAN VPN, there is clearly something still stored there, so as soon as I plug in the WAN2 connection and the Internet comes up, a few seconds later, (which I presume is it trying to initiate the former VPN tunnel, which was in the configuration which does not work), the contact to the router from my laptop via Ethernet drops. I don't know if the router freezes or just the tunnel trying to load corrupts the LAN connection.

Either way, it appears that even though the Draytek docs say a 2862n config can be transferred to a 2865AC or 2866AC, Checking the firmware levels are above acceptable, doing so if you have the site to site VPN's I had will fail and make the router unusable on that site.

One LAN to LAN VPN is OK, only using ADSL, but the second uses WAN2 first and crashes the new 2865AC or 2866AC router with restored config file from the 2862N.

The connection is back up on the old router for now and I've ordered a couple of 2862n's, one to keep as never being restored from this config file and one to try restoring to the same model.

I wonder if doing the RST file firmware will properly flatten the settings, as the reset hole on the front and restart with factory reset, even though seems to reset everything to factory, clearly does not remove all trace of the problematic LAN to LAN VPN setup.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami