DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2862 - No internet after firmware upgrade - Manx Telecom

• olly25
  • Topic Author
More
05 Jun 2023 16:00 #1 by olly25
I'm hoping someone can please help me, we have a 2862 in a shop in the Isle Of Man using Manx Telecom. After upgrading to the latest firmware, we can no longer connect to the internet and i have tried countless setting changes. I have even factory rest it and loaded it with minimal settings. I have had the same issue with 3 routers with Manx Telecoms

I have updated the firmware on dozens of 2862's in the last few months but these were the first ones in Isle of Man on Manx Telecom. I have confirmed all the setting with Manx Telecoms and there is nothing special needed to connect to the internet. I have tested the credentials with a router provided by Manx Telecom and only the username and password got me on so i know credentials are correct.

I am absolutely stumped by this and i am thinking the issue is with the firmware. Some of the setting used are below;

DSL Mode: VDSL2 Only
DSL Modem Code: Default
Protocol: PPPoE
Tried Fixed IP Address: Both blank and populated

Service Name - I have tired a few options but this is what i am not sure about. Does Manx Telecom require a service name?

My next attempt will be to rollback the firmware update.

Can anyone help me with this, thanks in advance.

Olly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2023 23:22 #2 by edinburgh
It'd be helpful if you provided a screenshot of Diagnostics > DSL Status so that we can see if the line is in sync. If in sync, but no Internet, then it may be a username/password issue. If line not in sync, then it's a settings issue.

Also, are you sure you updated the firmware with the correct version?

Finally, and even more importantly, have you followed this guide after the reset: https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-isp-manxtelecom

• olly25
  • Topic Author
More
06 Jun 2023 14:03 #3 by olly25
Hi thanks for the reply, i have followed this and tried so many combinations. The firmware was upgraded from a working version, tried both 2860 and 2862. Ive tired upgrading it from working, resetting it to factory, and cloning config, all the same results. I’m pretty sure it’s the firmware.

I have been looking into the Firmware version, the previous version on a 2860 was very old but had VT1 at the end of it. Does VT1 refer to Vector1 firmware? I have noticed Modem Codes in the latest releases and 3 other versions to try. I think ill give these a go next.

I am not sure what the Modem Codes refer to but i think these might help.

More
07 Jun 2023 00:10 #4 by edinburgh
Where did you download the firmware from? You should download it from the website that is appropriate for your locality. So, the UK website? https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-2862

However, I've found this post when doing Google search: https://www.facebook.com/manxtel/photos/a.193109124050165/6300502876644062/?type=3

UK's firmware will have 'BT' in its name, which is effectively global 2862 firmware MDM1.

MDM2 firmware supports neither Vectoring nor G.IMP.

Other MDM codes - I can't remember.

So, VT is either specific to Isle of Man or Google search returns results for a website in Dutch: https://forum.kpn.com/internet-9/draytek-vigor-2860-klapperende-internetsnelheid-dlm-resets-484323/index2.html

• olly25
  • Topic Author
More
10 Jun 2023 21:52 #5 by olly25
I downloaded the firmware from the UK. I have always used the BT versions without any issues but the latest BT one does not work in the Isle of Man for some reason on a VDSL2 line.

I tested an old router with a 2018 build on it (3.8.9.3_BT) which works, but that is on a Fibre line in the Isle of Man. I am going to test this version on the VDSL line. Another variable to throw in the mix is Fibre vs VDLS2 hmmm.

I am going to try a combination of firmware’s and see when it stops working and try and work out why. I will be going to the site on Monday and I will update my results on here.

More
11 Jun 2023 23:13 #6 by edinburgh
Fibre and VDSL2 are two different technologies, so you can't compare the two here and base your judgements on whether the router works on one but not the other.
Fibre (FTTP) uses a modem provided by Openreach (or Manx Telecom) to establish a sync, and then your router is used as an access point (including a firewall etc.). With VDSL2, your Draytek will act as a modem and an access point.

Moderators: ChrisSami