DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Legacy 2860ac Configuring WAN2 with Failover to Smart Hub 2

• john_a_parsons
  • Topic Author
More
01 Oct 2023 16:27 #1 by john_a_parsons
We are migrating away from Plusnet Business Broadband to BT and their Smart Hub 2 (SH2) and Halo service.
We have migrated our 1st broadband/phone line to BT SH2 and it is now live with BT voip (Digital Voice).

The next broadband/phone is our business line running our admin and shop EPOS, being a volunteer based
tourist attraction I have a limited time window in November to migrated this 2nd line, ready for our Christmas period.

I'm trying to avoid having to use ADSL on the 2nd line as we will be forced to use BT voip in the near future, so its better to do this now.
I'm in the process of configuring WAN Failover so that we can initially failover to Ethernet to the 1st Broadband when pulling the ADSL.
After the 2nd migration I can either transfer to this broadband by swapping cables or to configure WAN1 to Ethernet. I have downloaded the "How to configure WAN Backup or Failover" document.

Has anyone done this and what problems did you encounter?
What setting did you put on the BT SH2?
What other setting do I need to config on my 2860?

Please can you help
JohnP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2023 21:04 #2 by sun-e
I'm doing just the same thing too:
I have the Draytek 2860ac router and am migrating away from PlusNet Business with a phone line and static IP to BT Business with a static IP and transferring my phone line / number.

I should mention I also have Starlink (the standard CGNAT / DHCP residentual basic subscription) which is configured with the Starlink router in bridge mode and directly connected to the 2860ac's WAN2 interface.

I've been supplied witht the BT Smart Hub 2 and Business Hybrid Connect hardware (without even opting for it!), which came with teh Yealing DECT IP W73P phone.

For me the non negotiable is that I'm sticking with my Draytek 2860ac router (if possible), though if not and now would be wise to uprgade to the flagship Draytek VIOP router (given my BT Business with 4G & Starlink broadband services) then so be it I guess.

So to join in 'chorus' with john_a_parsons - I'm very eager to get some forum support we could both benefit from (particularly as my cut-over from PlusNet to Business in at midnight tonight ... in about 3 hours from the time of posting this here in the UK! :o :idea: )

More
30 Nov 2023 16:34 #3 by markhawkin
Possibly a bit after the event but I have a similarish arrangement with VDSL and a WAN2 using CGNAT.

With BT "Digital Voice" you are stuck with their router if you want the phone line (so the line can't go into the WAN 1 connection).

Thus BT's service has to be WAN2.

It doesn't seem possible to make the USB connections connect to anything other than a USB modem (and one on the known working list) for failover.

I've concluded that when my VDSL gets upgraded to fibre I'll be looking to buy something like a 2927.

Moderators: ChrisSami