DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Help with lost DHCP/internet connectivity

• nieldm
  • Topic Author
More
22 Nov 2023 09:10 #1 by nieldm
With alarming regularity, I would say at least twice a week, all clients on the LAN lose internet connectivity and I am not sure where to start diagnosing it. Topology is as follows - 2927ax (wifi turned off) acting as DHCP server using OpenDNS set in the (single) LAN configuration. 5 Ubiquiti Wifi6 access points providing the wifi network with no DHCP server on the Unifi controller and all wifi clients set to get IP and DNS from the 2927. No VLANS, about 30 devices on the network. I have a 900Mbps BT FTTP link and WAN2 as a failover ethernet WAN from a Zyxel 4g modem on the chimney. I generally use Ping for WAN connection detection, although I recently tried PPP too with no apparent difference. I have one VPN connected, LAN to LAN to Surfshark and use a Route Policy for a few clients to point them to the VPN but I don't think this is relevant. I have no LAN DNS/DNS Forwarding/Static Routes or anything like that set up.

When connectivity is lost, wifi is still working although it loses the IP address due, I assume, to DHCP being down on the 2927. If I connect my laptop directly to the router and give it a manual IP address I can access the router UI but not the internet. WAN1 is still up according to the light on the front.

I am running the latest firmware 4.4.3.1 but have been seeing this behaviour for the past few firmware releases, although it is seemingly getting more frequent. There is nothing apparent is the Syslog (which I save on an external syslog server) that helps, although I may be missing something in the setup that could.

Can anyone point me in the right direction and help me out of marital strife? Management doesn't like losing her internet connection....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2023 17:16 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Help with lost DHCP/internet connectivity
Interesting - I guess I see similar behaviour on my 2927ax. For example, the dashboard is presently showing that the system has been up for 30 days, whereas WAN1 has been up for 4 days. If I'm actually online when it drops it has (so far!) been only a minor annoyance, and the connection re-establishes after a minute or so without any intervention on my part. Do you have to do anything to get WAN1 up again? I hadn't really given much thought as to why it drops - perhaps because I don't know where to start looking :!: I guess I just assumed that it was a glitch on the vdsl line.

• nieldm
  • Topic Author
More
23 Nov 2023 18:40 #3 by nieldm
Thing is the WAN Isn't dropping, at least as far as I can tell. If it is, then it isn't failing over to my backup which it does if I simply unplug the cable. I also set it to send me an email when a WAN fails, which it doesn't on these occasions. To get it working again I use the power switch.

I think I have had it with the 2927, so it's a decision as to whether go totally Ubiquiti and get a UDM Pro, or try another Draytek like the 2962. The 2927 is just too buggy....(try adding a Group Object to a Route Policy, for example).

Moderators: ChrisSami