DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Casting problem with Vigor 2865Vac VLANs

• dutchenery
  • Topic Author
More
04 Dec 2023 16:36 #1 by dutchenery
Casting problem with Vigor 2865Vac VLANs was created by dutchenery
Hoping this is the part of the Forum my question should be in. I am struggling to cast content to the smart TV from my Android devices. The router – Vigor 2865Vac runs 4 VLANs. One of which is TV Set. So when wanting to cast I change the Android device to the same network. However, casting does not work. I use Chromecast. From the boards I understand this is a common problem and I do understand it is how VLANs are supposed to work. There is not much written about this specifically for Draytek routers. So, are there instructions pertaining to the Vigor 2865Vac to be used for casting content to TV sets? Is it necessary to set up Bonjour and which ports do I have to use? From the Ubiquiti boards I read that port TCP 8443 is needed for Android and TCP 8008-8009 if you use Windows – which I do not, I use Linux for everything. My thanks in anticipation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2023 14:06 #2 by devonkev
Replied by devonkev on topic Re: Casting problem with Vigor 2865Vac VLANs
Hi, at which point does it fail? Does your phone find the device? Does it fail at the point of trying to send the content? Does the TV respond at all?

• dutchenery
  • Topic Author
More
05 Dec 2023 14:59 #3 by dutchenery
Replied by dutchenery on topic Re: Casting problem with Vigor 2865Vac VLANs
Hi, thanks for your reply. When having set the TV onto the correct channel (HDMI) the image changes to the standard picture. Next I select either Disney or Amazon on the phone select the film and press the casting symbol. The phone will begin looking 'Cast to device'. After a minute it tells me 'No device found'. Previously without the VLANs I had no problem. Casting was immediate. So, I have to presume it is a VLAN problem. Both phone and TV are on the same VLAN. I also have perused a number of websites dealing with VLANs and casting. I am not really up to date with DNS problems and how to solve that (yet) but somehow the phone or tablet do not communicate to the TV or they do but the TV does not accept the signal. That is as far as I have gone.

More
05 Dec 2023 15:23 #4 by devonkev
It sounds like it isn't getting past the mDNS, which is how it finds Chromecast devices.

Are you able to ping the Chromecast from the phone?

The most likely cause is that something isn't setup correctly, fingers crossed, as we can resolve that.

• dutchenery
  • Topic Author
More
06 Dec 2023 22:12 #5 by dutchenery
Replied by dutchenery on topic Re: Casting problem with Vigor 2865Vac VLANs
Hi again, yes the Chromecast is detected by the Android mobile and gives an address which I think is wrong. Fing tells me the address is 192.168.1.21 but the router tells me it should be 192.168.2.1 (in that range) . The Lan set-up page says the start address for the VLAN is 192.168.2.10. Also I use the DNS Server addresses from OpenDNS as advised by the VPN company. Despite having VLANs Fing software seems to ignore that? Puts everything into its own set-up. Anyway, I have to really sit down and have a look at networking with VLANs particularly as it seems to be a problem. I do run Avahi as mDNS is required or so they say. As an afterthought, the Chromecast does load up great, it gets installed and just waits. I am more and more convinced it is a VLAN problem, unfortunately there is not a lot of data on the web about Draytek routers with casting to TVs. But from what I have read, it is a common problem and needs quite a bit of messing about. So, thanks for your replies but I will have to leave it for now. Have a nice Christmas time.

More
07 Dec 2023 18:02 #6 by devonkev
No problem, we'll be here when you're ready to jump back on this.

Thank you, have a lovely Christmas too.

Moderators: ChrisSami