DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor router internet issues - Voip related?

More
31 Aug 2024 13:24 #25 by SteveM84
So recently I made the trip to the router and arrived whilst the link was still down.  The ONT PON and Power lights were on but the LAN and Alarm lights were off.  On the router the WAN2 RJ45 lights were both off and the WAN2 Activity light in the block of status lights was off.  On logging on to the router via wifi the Physical connections page showed Message [ PPP Shutdown ]  on the WAN2 section.  I had already got the static IP address from Plusnet so I rebooted the router and everything was fine, the WAN2 port showed green on the dashboard meaning 1000M link and the IP address was as expected.  I then changed the settings on the WAN>>Internet Access WAN2 PPPoE page from dynamic to static IP and gave it my static IP address. Again after reboot everything was fine.  I noticed that I didn't have quite the latest firmware, latest being 3.9.9.5_BT, mine was 3.9.9.2_BT so I upgraded that successfully and without incident.  I then tried plugging in my newly acquire D-Link DWM222 4G/LTE modem.  I did this by switching off, plugging in, switching on and then went back to laptop to wait for reboot and login.  I couldn't log in and at first assumed it was caused by proximity of the D-Link transmissions to the 5G aerials on the Draytek, so I sought a USB extension lead and tried again with a couple of feet between the 2 devices.  Again I could not login so I went to look and found that the Draytek was continually rebooting.  Thinking this might have been because I had not prepared the USB to expect a modem instead of a disk I made the changes and tried again but it was just the same - so despite the DWM222 being on the compatibility list it appears not to be compatible with my Draytek and I had to leave the site without this potential secondary remote access method.
Before leaving though I did notice that the RJ45 picture of WAN2 on the dashboard was no longer green but orange signifying it had dropped to 100M instead of 1000M. 
I had already set up a Broadband Quality Monitor on ThinkBroadband and enabled the router to repond to pings and this was showing it connected with mostly green but some yellow peaks.  I left site and kept my eye on things over the next day, connecting VPN ok and transferring data both ways etc.  I thought I had it cracked but in a little over 24 hours it dropped again and once it's gone it's gone.
I am now wondering - spurred by the WAN2 link dropping from 1000M to 10/100M - if your earlier comment about the power supply might have some merit, either that or the 2862ac itself is faulty.  Incidentally though I had no reason to suspect the ethernet cable from router to ONT I did replace it with a brand new Cat 6A cable which I forgot to mention earlier.
I also got a couple of emails from the router about the reboots when I plugged the DWM222 in but not sure how to report them to Draytek or if they would be interested anyway.
I have some screenshots of the state of the system during my antics and photo of the router and ONT upon my arrival on site if they would be of any interest (I suspect not) but I did not have time to get screenshots of all the settings ready for a Factory Reset so I have not tried that yet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2024 21:31 #26 by markhawkin
Replied by markhawkin on topic Re: Vigor router internet issues - Voip related?
A couple of comments.

1) Although you have a static IP address from Plusnet it is strictly a reservation so you should have “dynamic IP” in the PPP/MP bit of WAN2 setup.

2) The USB modem putting the router in a boot loop is highly suggestive of a power supply problem.

I don’t like the ONT to router link not showing any lights. This suggests the negotiation has failed.

Personally I would buy a new original PSU an replace the ONT - Draytek cable.

It is possible that the WAN port is damaged but I somehow doubt it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SteveM84

More
31 Aug 2024 21:44 #27 by markhawkin
As for the Think Broadband monitor, occasional yellow spikes are not uncommon. What you don’t want is red at the top or blocks of red.

More
01 Sep 2024 09:02 - 01 Sep 2024 10:22 #28 by markhawkin
I've had a couple of USB modems working with my Draytek 2860, one was a USB stick (like your D-Link) and the other was a larger unit with an internal battery.

Both were fine with the Draytek PSU.

As far as I know, with the exception of "3" using the correct APN, all UK mobile networks use Carrier Grade Network Address Translation (CGNAT) so any inward connection might be tricky.
Last edit: 01 Sep 2024 10:22 by markhawkin. Reason: Typo

More
01 Sep 2024 12:46 #29 by SteveM84
Thanks - I have already replaced the ONt-Draytek cable but I think the next step as you say is new PSU. This is the first time the WAN2 port has been used since I got the Draytek so I cannot say if it was previously good or bad but I too doubt it is bad.

More
01 Sep 2024 12:48 #30 by SteveM84
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/2d688b2c1a55a0bff395c22e9297ccd87c0fcdcd-29-08-2024

Moderators: ChrisSami