DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

DrayOS v5?

• Andy
  • Topic Author
More
05 Sep 2024 20:44 #1 by Andy
DrayOS v5? was created by Andy
Months ago I watched a webinar about DrayOS v5 and since I have heard nothing? Any news on when its going to be released for current models? Has anyone got alpha/beta versions they are running?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2024 11:11 #2 by ianfretwell
Replied by ianfretwell on topic DrayOS v5?
Draytek Australia's opinion on this was this:-

"At this stage it will only be available in new models with 64-bit multicore CPU hardware.
The 2136 series will be released later this year followed by the 2767 series. The 2867 & 2928 series are expected next year some time."

If it's tied to the new hardware then in reality I don't think it's coming for the older models - other than maybe an interface upgrade to make it look similar (e.g. as they did with the AP903).

• Andy
  • Topic Author
More
06 Sep 2024 11:20 #3 by Andy
Replied by Andy on topic DrayOS v5?
Thanks for the reply.
Seems odd they would demo it back in March and then not release it until 12 months+ later.

More
06 Sep 2024 11:23 #4 by ianfretwell
Replied by ianfretwell on topic DrayOS v5?
It is already out though - Vigor 167, AP962C, AP1062C for example.

Easy to spot - the firmware version starts with the DrayOS version being used...

More
06 Sep 2024 13:46 #5 by markhawkin
Replied by markhawkin on topic DrayOS v5?
I could well believe a new Draytek hardware generation is just round the corner.

With UK FTTP (particularly some of the alternative networks), something capable of taking a 10Gb/s interface for the WAN(s) and connecting to 10Gb/s devices would be attractive but it also has to be able to achieve the throughput with "real" configurations.

As to whether many customers "need" a 1Gb/s+ connection, that's a different matter, but the networks are selling them.

More
10 Sep 2024 09:42 #6 by pharcyder
Replied by pharcyder on topic DrayOS v5?
I have a symmetrical gigabit connection at home. I do make use of the speed as I have to move large amounts of data around. My 2865 works at line speed for everything except VPN. They are not hardware accelerated so rely on the CPU. Speeds only reach around 100Mb/s so only around 10% of what's possible. Been thinking about moving to OPNsense on cheap hardware to get better horsepower but I would welcome faster hardware from Draytek as I like their software. 

Moderators: ChrisSami