DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

DRAYTEK 2862 wrong validation code

More
06 Sep 2024 04:47 #1 by Fotis
DRAYTEK 2862 wrong validation code was created by Fotis
Hi,
I enabled the Validation Code in Internet/LAN Access on my 2862 
But the login is not giving me an access code and I can't login.
I've done this before as I only use Drayteks and never had this issue.

Is there a way to login via telnet and disable the validation code?

Thank you
Fotis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2024 10:06 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic DRAYTEK 2862 wrong validation code
If you can login via telnet you can set all LAN access settings to factory default - perhaps that will clear the ValidationCode entry?

More
08 Sep 2024 13:11 #3 by HodgesanDY
Replied by HodgesanDY on topic DRAYTEK 2862 wrong validation code
Hi Fotis,

If piste basher’s suggestion doesn’t fix it, you could always try logging in to the router from several different browsers, as some might prevent that older ‘DrayOS CAPTCHA‘ from loading.

Obviously in the worst case scenario you’ll have to reset the router, hopefully it won’t come to that, although, if you have a config backup, then just reset it and re-load your latest config.

More
09 Sep 2024 03:15 - 09 Sep 2024 03:18 #4 by Fotis
Replied by Fotis on topic DRAYTEK 2862 wrong validation code
Thanks for your reply guys,
I've been trying explorers everywhere even from different pc's, but no luck, I should say that this happened after I ugraded to the latest firmware.
I downloeded the firmware within the router, on the Firmware Upgrade section, so maybe this is something that was caused by the firmware, as it was working before.

In regards to telnet, I did see the Reset to default but I think it will just clen the router to default settings, we need a Draytek programmer to confirm this.

https://prnt.sc/VqNsDW_SWDTc

Last edit: 09 Sep 2024 03:18 by Fotis.

More
09 Sep 2024 10:15 - 09 Sep 2024 10:55 #5 by HodgesanDY
Replied by HodgesanDY on topic DRAYTEK 2862 wrong validation code
Found it!

Interestingly, it's not listed in the help menu (within Telnet/SSH) or in your model's user manual 'Telnet Commands' section either, but try this:

Type
Code:
mngt -h

Do you see a menu listing for 'NoSecureL2TPMngtValidationCodelb_interface', because I do, on a 2862ac model, running the latest available FW.

Well this isn't a command, even though it is listed as one, so obviously some coding error at DrayTek.

Eventually I just tried random versions of what could possibly trigger the 'Management Validation Code' feature, and found it:
Code:
mngt ValidationCode disable
Code:
mngt ValidationCode enable

Let me know if this works for you too?

EDIT:
Ok, worked out what the problem is. I'm such an idiot for not spotting it sooner. It's a formatting issue, still a coding problem though I suppose, but not that hard to accept once you are aware of it.

The help menu displayed has no 'tab formatting' inserted between each menu item, so they're all bunched together into 'NoSecureL2TPMngtValidationCodelb_interface'.

As presented:

VigorRouter> mngt ?
% Valid subcommands are:
ftpport       httpport      httpsport     sslvpnport    telnetport    sshport
noping        defenseworm   rmtcfg        lanaccess     echoicmp      accesslist
wanlogin      snmp          bfp           cert_import   telnettimeout sshtimeout
acme          NoSecureL2TPMngtValidationCodelb_interface

How it should be displayed:

VigorRouter> mngt ?
% Valid subcommands are:
ftpport       httpport      httpsport     sslvpnport    telnetport    sshport
noping        defenseworm   rmtcfg        lanaccess     echoicmp      accesslist
wanlogin      snmp          bfp           cert_import   telnettimeout sshtimeout
acme          NoSecureL2TPMngt      ValidationCode      lb_interface

(Can't tell you what 'acme' does, as that command does nothing, so clearly some coding mishap.)
Last edit: 09 Sep 2024 10:55 by HodgesanDY. Reason: Edit to add - Solved strange missing commands display

More
10 Sep 2024 03:22 #6 by Fotis
Replied by Fotis on topic DRAYTEK 2862 wrong validation code
Hi HodgesanDY,

Thank you so much for your help.
It’s certainly a bug even how it’s showing as you pointed out.

I was using the command:

but it wasn’t working, so I gave up on it.

However, when I followed your suggestion and used the commands:
mngt ValidationCode disable
it worked immediately.

Unfortunately, when I tried the procedure again through the web interface, I encountered the same issue. I had to disable the command via Telnet.
This problem seems to have started with the latest firmware version 3.9.9.6_STD. It’s definitely a bug, and I was close to resetting the device to factory defaults as I needed to get it working.

BUT

Literaly after all this testing I went back into the Firmware section and there was a new version 3.9.9.5, as soon as I installed that everything worked. 

Again Thanks again for your assistance.
Fotis
The following user(s) said Thank You: HodgesanDY

Moderators: ChrisSami