DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Using two 2860n to form two networks.

• siroccoboy
  • Topic Author
More
12 Sep 2024 17:40 #1 by siroccoboy
Using two 2860n to form two networks. was created by siroccoboy
I am trying to set up the following scenario and am not having much success.
I have a 2860n which is my primary router, connected to the internet by DSL and all of my home network devices work satisfactorily.
I have acquired another 2860n and want to use it to create a separate additional network and share the internet connection used by the primary modem.
I have attached an ethernet cable between LAN port 4 of the primary and WAN2 of the secondary and was hoping to access the scendary modem to change its IP to say 192.168.10.1 so that I could attach all of my smart home devices to it, thereby separting them from my main primary network.
Firstly is this a feasible option.
Have I got the physical connection between the modems.
How can I access the second modem to reset its IP address. (they are both 1.1 at present and the primary modem always shows up when I log in)
Any help would be gratefully received !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2024 21:16 - 12 Sep 2024 21:17 #2 by markhawkin
Replied by markhawkin on topic Using two 2860n to form two networks.
What you are doing will (sort of) work but isn't really the way to do it.

Unplug the secondary router then using a compluter connected to a secondary router LAN connection log in and go to
LAN
General Setup
and change the IP address in Network configuration to 192.168.10.1 (from 192.168.0.1)
OK (you will probably need a reboot)

Then your secondary router will have a WAN address 192.168.1.xx and LAN addresses 192.168.10.xxx.

You can probably achieve what you want like that.

The "right" answer is probably VLANs and (possibly) another VLAN aware switch but you have what you have.
Last edit: 12 Sep 2024 21:17 by markhawkin. Reason: Typo

More
12 Sep 2024 21:43 - 12 Sep 2024 21:44 #3 by HodgesanDY
Replied by HodgesanDY on topic Using two 2860n to form two networks.
Also agree with markhawkin. Exactly what I was thinking; just use VLANs.

But uniqueness is cool, and it can always reveal possibilities not previously considerd.
Last edit: 12 Sep 2024 21:44 by HodgesanDY.

• siroccoboy
  • Topic Author
More
13 Sep 2024 08:37 #4 by siroccoboy
Replied by siroccoboy on topic Using two 2860n to form two networks.
Thanks,
I'm only using the two modem option because I have it to hand and thought it would provide two networks which I could manage the wifi and other network configurations more easily for each network.
Ive changed the IP to 192.168.10.1 but still cant see it from my primary network.
should the ethernet cable between the two be (say) P4 on Primary to (say) P1 on the secondary or WAN2 on the secondary.?
I want to share internet access currently available on the primary.
As you can see I'm inexperienced and trying to understand more about networking.

More
13 Sep 2024 08:54 - 13 Sep 2024 09:02 #5 by HodgesanDY
Replied by HodgesanDY on topic Using two 2860n to form two networks.

…should the ethernet cable between the two be (say) P4 on Primary to (say) P1 on the secondary or WAN2 on the secondary.?

Use WAN2 port on the secondary router yes, to any LAN port on the primary router should be fine.

There are better ways of doing what you’re doing, which will become clearer as you start to extract more functionality out of these/this network(s). I wouldn’t necessarily start a networking education this way, but it will surely raise questions and you will learn from that; no doubt so will anyone who subscribes to this topic, me included. 

See this thread/post for settings on the secondary router, they should get you going:
https://www.draytek.co.uk/forum/routers-and-firewalls/25313-configuring-vigor2860-wan2-with-a-tp-link-archer-mr600-not-working#103836
Last edit: 13 Sep 2024 09:02 by HodgesanDY.

Moderators: ChrisSami