DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

DrayTek to DrayTek VPN + DNS Zoning/Hinting

• ijacks
  • Topic Author
More
13 May 2010 18:55 #1 by ijacks
Hi all,

first off I must appologise for my lack of knowledge regarding networking. I can get a basic system up and running, but I am digging into very unknown territory now!

At work I have just configured two DrayTek to DrayTek VPN's (one from my home, the other for an external office), these are working fine and routing traffic where we expect it to be routed.

However....

Some time ago, our previous network admin decided to build our Active Directory with a domain name of "utl.co.uk"...which happens to be a real public domain name. This is not owned by us, in any way shape or form.

In order to access some of the servers over our VPN we need to use a FQDN, over the VPN this would be along the lines of database.utl.co.uk. This works fine if we set the LAN DNS server to be our internal server, but this is not ideal. Our external office is located in India, and the latency is causing an issue. As I understand it we can resolve this issue using DNS zoning and/or hinting (both of which mean nothing to me). For our external office this is not a big deal, we intend to run a local DNS server which will redirect any utl.co.uk traffic to the correct location, but for me at home this is not viable. I cannot find any settings on the DrayTek routers to do DNS zoning/hinting. Specifically the DrayTek routers in question are a Hi all,

first off I must appologise for my lack of knowledge regarding networking. I can get a basic system up and running, but I am digging into very unknown territory now!

At work I have just configured two DrayTek to DrayTek VPN's (one from my home, the other for an external office), these are working fine and routing traffic where we expect it to be routed.

However....

Some time ago, our previous network admin decided to build our Active Directory with a domain name of "utl.co.uk"...which happens to be a real public domain name. This is not owned by us, in any way shape or form.

In order to access some of the servers over our VPN we need to use a FQDN, over the VPN this would be along the lines of database.utl.co.uk. This works fine if we set the LAN DNS server to be our internal server, but this is not ideal. Our external office is located in India, and the latency is causing an issue. As I understand it we can resolve this issue using DNS zoning and/or hinting (both of which mean nothing to me). For our external office this is not a big deal, we intend to run a local DNS server which will redirect any utl.co.uk traffic to the correct location, but for me at home this is not viable. I cannot find any settings on the DrayTek routers to do DNS zoning/hinting. Specifically the DrayTek routers in question are: 2910VG, 2930Vn and a 2820Vn.

If anybody could shed some light on how I can get the routers to redirect traffic for utl.co.uk down the VPN tunnel I would be most grateful!

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami