Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Can't ping either end of VPN

• gr33ny
  • Topic Author
More
16 Jun 2016 15:23 #1 by gr33ny
Can't ping either end of VPN was created by gr33ny
Hi

I have a Draytek 3200 with the latest UK firmware, we have many VPNs on this router all working well.

I have set up a new 3DES VPN for a new customer and the VPN has connected fine but neither of us can ping each other.

> If I ping directly from the router I get no reply and no data appears to go down the VPN
> If I tracert directly from the router I get two hops with no reply but data DOES go down the VPN. Oddly on one occasion I got a reply on my second hop from a public IP address which appeared to be from my ISP. This has only happened once.
> The same happens if our customer pings or trace's us from their end (they are using a Cisco kit I believe)
> The customer's subnet appears in the routing table

I'm at a loss as to what to do to resolve the problem. I've set up probably 100s of VPNs in my time and while I've encountered many problems in initial setup I've never come across a problem where I can't ping the other end.

Any ideas appreciated!

Many thanks
Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2016 09:27 #2 by colni
Replied by colni on topic Re: Can't ping either end of VPN
Hi Paul,

Sorry to hijack your tread , but I have a similar issue in a lab environment with a pair of 3900's.
I read somewhere that policy routing taking priority, however trying this it doesn't work.
My issue appears to be that traffic isn't being routing down the vpn tunnel , but I cant apply a static route to select the vpn tunnel as an interface.

Colin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami