DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

SmartVPN client with Android 7 (Nougat)

• pto
  • Topic Author
More
20 Jun 2017 13:22 #1 by pto
Hi everyone, I'm trying to set up my first VPN on a Vigor 2760 and connect to it from my Android phone.

The phone is running Android version 7 (Nougat) and the SmartVPN client version 1.0.9.

I have followed the instructions for setting up the router, creating a certificate and creating a user on the phone.

When I click Dial in the phone client I immediately get a Disconnected message. I can't see anything in the server logs.

Is this version of the SmartVPN client compatible with Android 7? If so, any clues on what I might be doing wrong? The setup tutorials seem clear enough and I have followed them carefully.

TIA

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2017 18:22 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: SmartVPN client with Android 7 (Nougat)
Try using a Pre-Shared-Key rather than a certificate - this should be much easier to get going.

Make sure you perform your tests using the phone's mobile data, rather than the 2760's Wifi. (I don't have a 2760, but I know the 2860 doesn't support this. Weirdly, the 2830 does!)

• pto
  • Topic Author
More
20 Jun 2017 18:52 #3 by pto
Hi, and thanks for your reply. You were right on both counts - I disabled WiFi and certificate authentication and now my phone connects:D :D.

Can you explain to this poor novice why this has fixed the problem please?

Mike

More
20 Jun 2017 20:32 #4 by hornbyp
My guess - is that the Certification Path is the problem ... i.e. the phone doesn't trust the certificate, because it's not from a Certificate Authority it knows about. The cure might be as simple as exporting the Certificate from the Vigor (to a file) and then importing it on the phone. But unless you have lots of clients/phones to set up, I don't think there's any real advantage in using a Certificate...

As for why it doesn't work via Wifi with some Routers, I don't know. It definitely does work with a 2830, so it is possible...

• pto
  • Topic Author
More
20 Jun 2017 23:49 #5 by pto
OK thank you.

Just one more question - the Android SmartVPN app uses SSL and makes no mention of a pre-shared key. Can this be implemented, and if so how?

Mike

More
21 Jun 2017 02:22 #6 by hornbyp

PTO wrote: the Android SmartVPN app uses SSL and makes no mention of a pre-shared key. Can this be implemented, and if so how?

No - you're right - I mis-remembered :) (Must have been the built-in Android client I was thinking of, for L2TP/IPSEC)

Moderators: ChrisSami