DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820n - 3com WAP and Apple Timecapsule routing issues

• stephenmelody
  • Topic Author
More
31 Jul 2009 15:11 #1 by stephenmelody
Hi Guys,

Here's an interesting one, I've a complex network which I'm having some issues with.

Firstly, I'm using MAC address filtering as my only security.

Right, the problem:

I have the 2820n on the ground floor, it provides all the standard features of the router (DHCP, DNS etc)

On the middle floor I have a 3com access point which acts as a bridge, that's connected to a switch, off this is a PC, CCTV recorder and PS3. (by now you should have guessed this is residential...)

On the top floor I have an Apple Timecapsule, working in bridge mode also, and connected to this is an iMac and and a Vista machine.

Now all work fine on the internet, no problems there. It's the internal network I have issues with.

Now the problem is this: the iMac can see the internet, and the stuff hardwired into the 2820n, but nothing connected to the 3com access point. However, if the iMac connects to the stuff on the 3com by going out to the internet and back, it's fine. Vice Versa, the stuff on the 3com can see the internet, and loop back to stuff off the timecapsule on the WAN, but not locally.

Now if I connect my laptop to the wireless, sometimes I can see the timecapsule connected devices, and sometimes the 3com connected devices but never both at the same time. I can always see stuff connected to the 2820n.

So I'm basically asking if anyone knows why the internal routing isn't working properly, but will allow routing from internal - WAN - internal again??!

Sorry if this is a bit complex, if anyone's got any questions, or needs a bit more explanation, let me know.

Thanks,

Steve.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami