DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Average range of ANT-2510 antenna

• jamessclark
  • Topic Author
More
02 Jun 2010 13:37 #1 by jamessclark
Average range of ANT-2510 antenna was created by jamessclark
Does anyone know what the average outdoor range is for the ANT-2510 antenna?

I realise that range & QOS can vary greatly depending on environment but if there was no interference and a clear line-of-sight between the antenna (attached to an AP-700) and another AP-700 (for bridging purposes) how far could i expect the signal to travel?

Would I need antennas at both ends, even though the 2nd AP is in a window? So far I only have one antenna installed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2010 15:32 #2 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Average range of ANT-2510 antenna
You say it's clear line of sight, but then you mention a window..so that's not clear line of sight (for the purposes of the topic) and therefore makes it impossible to predict. You would need the antenna at both ends, yes, otherwise the range of the antenna would be extended in one direction only.

Forum Administrator

• jamessclark
  • Topic Author
More
03 Jun 2010 12:27 #3 by jamessclark
Replied by jamessclark on topic Thanks
Thanks for the advice - I have now purchased a 2nd outdoor antenna and will be installing it at my client site next week.

With this in mind - now that there will be a clear line of sight - can you indicate what the range ought to be please?

More
03 Jun 2010 15:30 #4 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic Average range of ANT-2510 antenna
That depends on the glass in the window as if its got any form of coating your stuffed as they contain metal. Best to put the arial outside then you will get several hundred meters as long as there no other WIFI users in the area. If that still doesen't work you will need a cantenna, they can go many kilometers! just google cantenna

Howard

• jamessclark
  • Topic Author
More
21 Jun 2010 11:27 #5 by jamessclark
Replied by jamessclark on topic Confusion about outdoor ranges for wireless N
I have just spoken to DrayTek premium support and described my setup, with an AP-700 at either end of the gap I need to bridge, each connected to an AT-2510 outdoor antenna. I was told the the range was only 35-40m, but i'm sure I'm getting signal way beyond that. The set up still didn't work however so i was just trying to get re-assurance from them that approx 100m was actually feasible using a outdoor booster antenna at either end of the bridge. I was also told that wireless N does not increase the range much compared to G, but other information on the protocols that I have read differs with this dramatically. Has anyone out there bridged a gap of 100m with the kit i'm trying to use? Can anyone recommend an expert engineer who might be able to help for a fee? I don't want to let my client down.

Moderators: ChrisSami