DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2862ac WiFi Problems

• chiily
  • Topic Author
More
22 Jun 2018 23:46 #7 by chiily
Replied by chiily on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
3.8.9.1 has not brought me the solution to the wifi problems I was looking for. I'm still finding the router loosing the route between the two wifi networks and the ADSL internet connection; no idea why and support doesn't know either. Hardware fault??

Wireless connections to the router drop and restart frequently, making VOIP calls almost impossible; VOIP being essential to my wife's business and I don't like my wife being unhappy. :)

I am very disappointed with the quality of this router. I thought Draytek were market leaders, or I was lead to believe. On the performance of the 2862ac I would never recommend Draytek to anyone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2018 08:20 #8 by x64
Replied by x64 on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
I certainly feel your pain....

I went into the past two weeks with THREE issues and the hope of some of them being improved by 3.8.9 and then 3.8.9.1_BT. Indeed all three issues 'changed' and might be regarded as slightly improved, however all three remain. From the release notes, I can see that two of the improvements might be related to other documented fixes, one is mystery as the area involved is positively documented as unchanged.

Those slight improvements coaxed me to reconfigure my network, more towards the design that I'd originally intended. What did I get? Three additional NEW extra problems (related to firewall rules, NAT loopback, public IP routed LAN, and WAN IP Alias....... Many hours (20?) of diagnosis/experimentation and a severe Victor Meldrew moment then ensued!. These things are bread and butter functionality - It's difficult to see how this stuff can have issues in what is supposed to be a mature router OS.

Dragging this back on track... For me, 3.8.9.1 has reduced the 5GHz issues. I'm. still seeing intermittent slow commencement of traffic over apparently correctly negotiated Wi-Fi, but the durations are shorter than before.

As many of my observations are against Apple devices, I'm also mindful that Apple themselves seems to have botched Wi-Fi to a degree in iOS 11.4 - this may be mainly power management, but it is extremely hard to tie down and localise. There is a lot of 'BS' on the Apple forums about this (in battery drain topics), both from well meaning but inaccurate suggestions of fixes, and from experienced helpers there who are in denial and refuse to entertain that the emperor is errm.. slightly underdressed.... Whilst I've still got an eye on the Apple side of things, it's difficult to be sure of my observations against the router.

edit for spelling and grammar

More
24 Jun 2018 10:46 #9 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
The behaviour of Apple devices with Draytek 5GHz is bizarre. I have an iPhone X, an iPad Pro and an iPad mini4 which all seem perfectly happy on my 2925ac 5GHz wifi, but will not connect satisfactorily to the 5GHz on my AP902 access points. If they connect at all to the AP's I get severely reduced download speeds. On the other hand my old iPad 2, which I use mainly for Facetime, will not stay connected to the 5GHz on the 2925ac. It continually connects for a second or two and then drops the connection, only to try and try again....(and it's a foot away from the router)

I too have just turned off the 5GHz on all Draytek devices in order to avoid this connection chaos. Does rather defeat the purpose of buying the "ac" devices though :roll:

More
25 Jun 2018 09:51 #10 by macximum
Replied by macximum on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
For so many of us to be commenting on issues surrounding this surely DrayTek are aware, there has to be others complaining directly to DrayTek with similar support cases open.

I am total agreement that this is not on at all, especially with the well put "mature router OS" comment.

Maybe fw3.9 or fw4.0 (if it ever comes) will be the answer to our prayers... surely there cannot be many more '3.8.9.x' revisions left to use now before a major revamp!

I live in hope! What are the next best alternatives?

More
25 Jun 2018 13:47 #11 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems

Piste Basher wrote: The behaviour of Apple devices with Draytek 5GHz is bizarre. I have an iPhone X, an iPad Pro and an iPad mini4 which all seem perfectly happy on my 2925ac 5GHz wifi, but will not connect satisfactorily to the 5GHz on my AP902 access points. If they connect at all to the AP's I get severely reduced download speeds. On the other hand my old iPad 2, which I use mainly for Facetime, will not stay connected to the 5GHz on the 2925ac. It continually connects for a second or two and then drops the connection, only to try and try again....(and it's a foot away from the router)

I too have just turned off the 5GHz on all Draytek devices in order to avoid this connection chaos. Does rather defeat the purpose of buying the "ac" devices though :roll:

That's quite unfortunate - I don't know if you have already, but if you can, please contact support with the configuration files (maybe edited for security purposes) so that they can try to reproduce the issue with Apple devices, on the VigorAP 902's 11ac and an Apple iPad.
I'm not aware of significant firmware changes that would / could cause the kind of problems you're seeing, but there have been alterations to channel detection with the addition of the Interference Monitor. I'm wondering if that and local variables could be causing your problems with wireless.

For people that are seeing problems with the router's wireless (different hardware & firmware), please contact support with syslog output from affected routers when the disconnections occur, those logs should give an indication of what's happening and can work on resolving it.

Forum Administrator

More
25 Jun 2018 18:07 #12 by manicguitarist
Replied by manicguitarist on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
I can get the syslog from the AP900 for my iThing issues - but the 2926ac doesn't seem to record WiFi details in the syslog (at least doesn't write it to the USB device). Where can I find this info?

Moderators: ChrisSami