DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Access Pont Interrupts every 10 minutes...

• harveyb
  • Topic Author
More
08 Aug 2021 17:47 #1 by harveyb
Hello everybody,
I wonder if anybody else has experienced the same problem as me.
The following problem occurs when using wifi via APs
For some time now I have noticed that during live video and/or audio calls the communication will "freeze" for approximately 2 seconds.
After a great deal of investigation, I have found that:

• The freeze/pause applies to all comms, it is just more obvious with live video/audio.

• Ping tests show "timed out" for one or two pings at this point.

• The logs show problem coincides exactly with the Central AP Management activity:

• Get Rogue AP Detection data.

• Request done

• Run AP Detection / Discovery.
      *the latter item seems to be the culprit.

• It occurs on AP903, AP912c, AP902 and AP910c

• A similar problem shows on 2862ac router but at 20 minute intervals.

• It only affects Wi-Fi connected devices not ethernet

• It affects all devices that I have tested(Windows PCs, Apple iPhones/iPads, Security Cameras ...

• It occurs in both AP mode and MESH mode (AP903/AP912c)

I have found that:
if I disable "Central AP Management" on the AP the problem goes away for that AP.
Ditto "AP Management" on 2862 Router.

Obviously, disabling APM means that the APs can no longere be managed from the 2862. This is fine for me, I only have four APs to manage, but it seems a bit of a flaw for bigger organisations.

I have been in constant communication with Draytek help desk, who have tended to ask me to try different things, but seem reluctant to push the problem over to the developers!!!!

I was just thinking that perhaps, if more people find that they are experiencing the same symptoms, Draytek might treat the problem a little more seriously.

Thanks in anticipation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• harveyb
  • Topic Author
More
24 Aug 2021 12:34 #2 by harveyb
After many exchanges with a helpful guy at Draytek, we have identified the cause.

Though the problem shows up on the Vigor AP Wi-Fi it is actually triggered by a setting on the Router.

To resolve the issue, turn off "Rogue AP Detection", on the router. This can be found in Central Management=>>AP==>Rogue AP Detection.

On my 2862ac there are two options:

• Neighbour AP Detection:
    This periodically triggers the offending process on each AP (every 10 mins in my case).

• Local AP Detection:
    This periodically triggers the offending process on the Router itself (every 20 mins in my case)

I hope this info will help somebody in the future.

Draytek have passed the issue across to their developers.

More
08 Sep 2021 11:48 #3 by koenraadr
Replied by koenraadr on topic Re: Access Pont Interrupts every 10 minutes...
You are a lifesaver! I have had exactly the same issue. What has confused me is why it feels like it began around July / August?

I had over the last week narrowed it down to one of the 2 AP902s, oddly a hardly used one. Whether I was connected to either of the 2862ac or (good) AP902 I had no issues when switching off the rogue one. Both AP902 have identical settings.

My network 2862AC + AP902 x 2

Moderators: ChrisSami