DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Consistent issues with iOS devices - 2860n-plus + 903

More
23 Sep 2021 12:50 #7 by piste basher
I have a 2927ac with 2 wired AP960's and 1 wireless AP903 in a mesh with the router as the root.

I have two iPhones and 3 iPads all connected via wifi with no issues.

I don't have "Private Address" turned on on any iOS device. I don't have band steering turned on on the Drayteks.

Several years ago I had 3 or 4 AP903's in WDS mode and had major problems with iOS devices connecting on 5GHz, it was so bad that I turned 5GHz off.

However, that issue appears to have been resolved by either or both Apple and Draytek.

It would seem that those having problems are doing something different to me (all iOS devices are now on iOS 15, this hasn't made any difference), but I'm afraid that I can't tell you what it might be :roll:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2021 21:31 #8 by edinburgh
I have the same issues with 2762ac.

iOS/Android devices really slow. Laptop - everything fine.

More
24 Sep 2021 22:03 #9 by timo_w2s
It would be interesting to do a speed test on problematic devices and see if there is packet loss. I used the Speedtest by Ookla app to test my connection when I was having issues.

Since I upgraded to iOS 15 two days ago I haven't had any issues with my iPhone 11. It connects every time and speed is back to what I would expect on my connection over wifi and no packet loss any more.

More
26 Sep 2021 20:20 #10 by black coral
The problem isn’t internet connectivity, the router is connected fine as are wired clients. DFS channels are filtered out yet iOS clients consistently have no internet connectivity despite full wireless signal. Non iOS clients don’t have any issues. Typically toggling airplane mode fixes the issue. I have tried disabling private address on iOS adapter and it makes no difference. I’m convinced there is a bug in the Draytek firmware as other non Draytek wireless networks are fine.

More
26 Sep 2021 20:50 #11 by timo_w2s

Black Coral wrote:
The problem isn’t internet connectivity, the router is connected fine as are wired clients. DFS channels are filtered out yet iOS clients consistently have no internet connectivity despite full wireless signal. Non iOS clients don’t have any issues. Typically toggling airplane mode fixes the issue. I have tried disabling private address on iOS adapter and it makes no difference. I’m convinced there is a bug in the Draytek firmware as other non Draytek wireless networks are fine.

I had very intermittent internet access on my iPhone when it was experiencing issues using the Draytek router for internet which is when I noticed I was getting a lot of packet loss on the phone (or so the Speedtest app was suggesting) which is why I was curious if others also had this odd packet loss issue. Everything else connected to the router had good internet access with no packet loss on wired and wireless devices.

• wizbongre
  • Topic Author
More
30 Sep 2021 11:20 #12 by wizbongre
A further update from me...

Since I factory reset my 3 AP's and set up the Mesh with no band-steering, no AP-assisted roaming, etc. and specifically chose none-DFS channels I thought I had solved the issue. I managed a good few days with constant, reliable wifi connection.

Then the issue re-appeared. Over the past few days I've had repeating occurrences of the issue, at random intervals and again, the only fix is to reboot the AP's.

Just to be clear, it is not an issue with internet connectivity - my router is rock solid with my Sky FTTP connection, and all wired devices around the house work with no problems. Further, all non-iOS devices connected via WiFi don't appear to have any connectivity issues.

So, it looks like I need to do more diagnostics. Where/how do I activate the maximum, verbose logging in the AP's so I can at least try to pull out something that will help me diagnose/fix the issue? I'm hoping there is a log somewhere that I can interrogate when I try to connect to an AP and get the "unable to connect..." iOS error message. Is it possible to log against a specific MAC or IP address for example (I could fix IP for the devices to help with diagnostics.)

(For further info, I've just upgraded half of the iOS devices to iOS15 - the issue is prevalent on all devices, whether iOS15 or the latest release of iOS14.)

Edited to add: Yes, we do have Sky Q (1 main box and 1 mini box) however they are both connected via ethernet and I've gone in and turned the wifi channels off. Regardless, this doesn't feel like an interference issue - the signal is very strong all through our house - it is a connection/authentication type issue. i.e. the iOS devices can clearly see my wifi but the AP won't allow them to connect.

Moderators: ChrisSami