DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Arlo and Draytek WiFi

More
01 Nov 2021 21:43 #1 by edinburgh
Arlo and Draytek WiFi was created by edinburgh
Hi everyone

I was wondering if anyone would offer advice:

- I have an Arlo system and its base station always (and I really mean always) switches WiFi channels to broadcast on the same one as the router
- The above can't be changed in Arlo, as the system doesn't allow you to switch channels or bands (I know!)
- Broadcasting on the same channel as my Draytek router causes interference that results in slow speeds
- Changing channels only temporarily resolves the issue - Arlo will automatically adjust its WiFi channel to the same one that the router broadcasts (within 24 hours or less)
- Arlo has to be connected to the router using an ethernet cable
- I've tried connecting Arlo to Devolo instead, but the stupid thing adjusts its channels regardless

I always thought that broadcasting on the same channel would create interference, even when both points are in close proximity. However, Arlo (formerly owned by Netgear) seem to know otherwise.

Any ideas, anyone, how to prevent Arlo from broadcasting on the same channel as the router? Some kind of Raspberry Pi thing between the router and Arlo?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2021 01:05 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Arlo and Draytek WiFi
Um - it all sounds very odd...

Have you had to tell the Arlo about the Router's SSID? - if so, maybe you could just lie :)

It sounds for all the world like it wants to act as a Wi-fi Repeater for the Router...
...but if it wants to act as a Repeater, then why would it need an ethernet connection :?: :?

More
02 Nov 2021 01:11 #3 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: Arlo and Draytek WiFi
Thank you!

No, you don't let Arlo's base station know anything about your SSID, i.e. its password or settings, but I presume that maybe it's collecting those during the set up(I can't remember), or at least the SSID, when you use the phone to put the whole system together.

It then just connects to the router with an ethernet cable to transmit data between it and the Internet (for example, uploading videos to the cloud etc). It also broadcasts two bands, but adjusts to the router's WiFi channels: one band to communicate with the battery operated cameras, whereas the other as a future proof feature used with its cameras, namely Ultra 2. (I have Ultra, which only uses 2.4GHz band, so the 5GHz is redundant, but you can't switch it off!)

So, yes, it looks like it uses the router's WiFi signal - like a repeater - to increase its own range, hence probably the reason why you can't change its settings. Following a number of tests, though, I've discovered that this channel hopping introduces interference.

I've tried connecting Arlo to Devolo's ethernet ports thinking it would think it's not connected to the router, so it must somehow collect the details of the network during the set up process to know which SSID to use to track the channel. I can't think of anything else?

More
02 Nov 2021 16:22 #4 by hornbyp
I have found a discussion of this issue: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/WiFi-channel-Arlo-Base-Station-can-t-believe-this/m-p/1577368

It doesn't really come to a conclusion though...
maybe you'll need to join the Arlo community to get a sensible resolution.

FWIW, I've always thought it crazy to have Routers & Repeaters on the same frequency, but the justification seems to be that only one is transmitting at a time. (and presumably it otherwise requires two radios in a Repeater device). Draytek's Mesh setup automatically clones the Root node's setup as well...so what do I know? :?

More
02 Nov 2021 17:11 #5 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: Arlo and Draytek WiFi
Hi

Thanks for your response!

With all due respect for Arlo forum members, I'm more likely to get a good suggestion on here. So, thank you for your suggestion that the SSID must be exchanged during the set up process: I've connected Arlo to a Devolo powerline and changed the router's SSID. So far so good; will need to test for a couple of days to confirm.

An interesting thing is that this interference seems to be affecting Draytek's 5GHz band only, but not Devolo's one, even though both are almost in the same location (10cm apart): ping and jitter increase and download speed decrease significantly on Draytek - not immediately, but degrade - but not on Devolo. I concluded it has to do with Arlo, hence the testing.

I've been in touch with Draytek Support, but they've been useless lately. Even the manager couldn't stick to his promise to contact me when he said he would.

Re routers and repeaters being on the same frequency - I totally agree. However, maybe one is *actively* transmitting at a time, but both are still transmitting.

More
03 Nov 2021 02:18 #6 by hornbyp

edinburgh wrote:
An interesting thing is that this interference seems to be affecting Draytek's 5GHz band only, but not Devolo's one, even though both are almost in the same location

Are the Devolo and Vigor both set to use the same channel width (ie 20/40/80MHz) ? Perhaps if the Arlo is only interfering with part of the Devolo's 5GHz spectrum, but all of the Vigor's it would explain the difference?

Moderators: ChrisSami