DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Arlo and Draytek WiFi

More
03 Nov 2021 07:34 #7 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: Arlo and Draytek WiFi
Thank you. Yes, the Vigor, as far as I remember, is set up to use the 20/40/80 channel width, but you can't specify that for the Devolo. Do you think I should reduce the channel bandwidth to minimise interference? I thought it'd do the oposite. When I look at WiFiAnalyser, it looks like Arlo has much smaller bandwidth than Vigor or Devolo, but despite that I get high pings and jitter.

Anyway, checked my channels this morning: Arlo back onto the same channel as Vigor, despite the former being connected to Devolo and the latter having a different SSID that was not used before. When testing speed, I noticed jitter again and high pings, but throughout the evening when Arlo was on a different channel, there were no problems.

Is it that the Vigor is closer to Arlo than to Devolo? I'll see if swapping places works, but I think the only other options would be:

- schedule channel changes in Vigor to occur every 24 hours
- finally get Draytek to look into the issue of high pings and jitter
- buy another Devolo adapter and switch off WiFi in Vigor (more cost and impact on the envionenmemt)
- hook up my Zyxel instead but there's the issue of the lack of support and firmware updates
- get a Fritz box or something similar (more cost and impact on the environment)

it looks like those engineers from Arlo, formerly part of Netgear, knew well how to make the thing persistently clone the router's channels. Any other options/suggestions and what else to do with this problem?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2021 17:02 #8 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Arlo and Draytek WiFi

edinburgh wrote:
When I look at WiFiAnalyser, it looks like Arlo has much smaller bandwidth than Vigor or Devolo, but despite that I get high pings and jitter.

So much for that theory :(

Have you seen this post (on the Arlo forum): https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Ultra-2/WiFi-interference/m-p/1824380 :?:

It claims some kind of a successful workaround ...

More
06 Nov 2021 11:57 #9 by edinburgh
Thanks @hornbyp

Thank you for providing the link - I had already looked at all of Arlo's posts relating to this matter. Unfortunately, moving the base away is not an option.

However, what I did was changed Draytek's channel to 120, which seems to have solved the problem of download speed and jitter somewhat. Nevertheless, for some reason, WiFi scanning apps report Draytek then to be broadcasting on channel 52 (so, not 120, as Draytek reports), although it looks like it's also occupying channel 58, and Arlo on channel 52 (50-54).

I have some knowledge about channel bonding etc., but I'd never consider myself an expert in this matter, and so I'm confused why Draytek says it's using channel 120, while apps report it as on channel 52. (I've attached screenshots below, but I think they need to be approved by the admin before anyone can see them.)

Any ideas?

More
06 Nov 2021 12:10 #10 by edinburgh
[img]
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Arzk00uH22yj1z7LI4FvUONmZSgp
[/img]

[img]
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Arzk00uH22yj1z9tag8fr9RFYWFO
[/img]

More
06 Nov 2021 16:09 #11 by hornbyp
The images aren't showing up :(

More
06 Nov 2021 16:14 #12 by hornbyp

edinburgh wrote:
I'm confused why Draytek says it's using channel 120, while apps report it as on channel 52. (I've attached screenshots below, but I think they need to be approved by the admin before anyone can see them.)

I believe channel 120 is a DFS channel (See: http://wifinigel.blogspot.com/2012/09/wifi-channels-on-5ghz-in-uk.html ), for example.

Maybe it's actually heard RADAR and has moved to channel 52 as a response :?:

(If you do use DFS channels, my advice (FWIW), is to schedule a once per day auto-reboot at a time when you're not using Wi-fi. That way, the requirement to repeat the DFS test once-per-day, shouldn't inconvenience any one).

Moderators: ChrisSami