DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

AP802 - FTTP - BT900

• wkjnode
  • Topic Author
More
21 Nov 2021 16:27 #1 by wkjnode
AP802 - FTTP - BT900 was created by wkjnode
Apologies first post and coming to this forum for first time.

Was running 2862, ADSL, two 4G dongles and 2 AP802s - three days set up with DrayTek Support (!). Solid as a rock all through lockdown running multiple lockdown computers etc.

After some aggro with BT they surprisingly installed FTTP and have full fat 900 package with 450 minimum.

Installed and after some fiddling about get about 220 off main router. Assume this is being throttled by firewall and othe environmental issues.

Problem is the mesh. So the mesh nodes running fine but throughput is way down at about 70. Cannot understand why. Nothing fancy settings wise but throughput is less than half what I’m getting in main room.

Also and probably not related have powerline through to my office which is full fat 1gig link allegedly but holds at 100mbps like it’s limited.

So feel I am missing a setting or parameter that will unblock the APs to at least 300mbps - which assume is the theoretical and absolute limit because of the firewall. But matching APs to Router speeds would be nice.

Tinkered with bunch of settings including channels etc and usual stuff but feel like I am missing something more fundamental.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Dec 2021 23:53 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: AP802 - FTTP - BT900
I would have replied sooner, but the forum software seems to have been having one of its tantrums and stopped sending me emails... :(

Anyway: good news on the FTTP front :-

The 2862 is capable of keeping up with that FTTP line (despite the spec. saying otherwise).

See: https://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=99864

Also see: https://www.draytek.co.uk/our-solutions/videos/draytek-webinars/draytek-router-wan-performance-and-hardware-acceleration (Draytek's webinar on the subject - skip to 9mins 30 secs)

Less good news on the Mesh throughput :(

I did some throughput tests ( here )

That figure of 70Mbps is in keeping with the numbers I saw from the AP802 in Mesh Mode. The very best throughput I've seen (Wired-AP mode, 80MHz channel width on 5GHz band @ ~2.5m) is 250Mbps.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami