DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek Issues in Channel Islands

More
04 Jun 2010 21:57 #7 by clio_williams
Replied by clio_williams on topic Draytek Issues in Channel Islands
Wow! Wasn't expecting a reply! Thanks very much....

Well, as we speak it's trained at 9,422,600 down and 733,300 up which is what it should be I believe, however, it's now more the connection speeds from clients on the network that concerns me. If I do a broadband speed test now with the Draytek 2800vg I get 5,640 kbps down and 536 kbps up. Currently, I'm getting an SNR of 19 on the Draytek (which is the highest I think I've ever seen.)

I'll now copy/paste this into a notepad doc and get results at the same time from the Netgear - a DG834....

The Netgear has just trained up at 9423 kbps down and 733 kbps up... the same. It's SNR is registering as 21.1 down and 12 up. HOWEVER... the speed test says... 8,033 kbps down and 619 kbps up.... quite a bit quicker.

Any ideas squire?

James

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2010 15:27 #8 by clio_williams
Any thoughts on this Admin, or anyone else?

I've just tried one of the 2600's on another local, known good 8Mb connection and it produced similar results, when the Cisco device that's normally connected to it can give speeds up to 8Mb.

Are the 2600's and 2800's known not to produce top connectioni speeds under certain scenaios where other devices out perform them? Bearing in mind that nothing else (cables, filters, lines etc) seem to be at fault, are there any suggestions?

Regards,

James

More
24 Jun 2010 22:47 #9 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Draytek Issues in Channel Islands
Sorry...been a bit busy :-)

Okay, so the connection speeds are the same now but the throughput variable. Try turning off QoS on both routers (if they hve) and then retesting the speed.

Forum Administrator

More
24 Jun 2010 23:10 #10 by clio_williams
Hi Admin. Thanks for getting back to me. No worries about the delay. Well, I thought I'd take before and after readings so just tested the speed before making any changes and immediately got 8061/546 (ish - did a few tests) out of the 2800vg! That's amazing. Never seen speeds like that before. Tried turning off QoS and no difference to the speeds.

I was going to suggest the ISP must have made changes since my last posts but then remembered the Netgear got 8Mb ish consistently in the download direction. I guess there is still the mystery of the slightly slow upload rate but with the full speed (ish) down I'm fairly happy for the time being.

I'll run some more detailed tests as soon as I have some time, again comparing the Netgear with the two Draytek's and update this tread with my findings.

Thanks for taking an interest Admin and have a good weekend. :-)

James

Moderators: ChrisSami