DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2700 on WBC/21CN ADSL2+

More
13 Jan 2010 13:10 #7 by azzaka
Replied by azzaka on topic 2700 on WBC/21CN ADSL2+

deadkenny wrote: FYI, there appear to be issues with congestion on some of BT's 21cn exchanges which may be causing the low speeds particularly at peak periods. According to PN.

Aside from that, I'm getting some sync issues now but not sure if it's my line. SNR is a lot more variable, going up and down a fair bit. Throughput download still remains far worse than when I was on plain ADSL, but as I say there are these BT issues apparently.

Main thing is I'm worse off with ADSL2+ than on ADSL. Question is, whether the model of router makes a difference.

The 2700 should work fine on the new 21CN enabled exchanges and I have a few customers who are using them and it is working fine. However I have another line does not allow the 2700 to sync but will allow the 2800. So I'm wandering wat DSL chips are in them.

Any info?

I Sync
I Auth
Therefore I am... Online

Technical Support Services Consultant, Zen Internet Ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2010 13:50 #8 by lorian
Replied by lorian on topic 2700 on WBC/21CN ADSL2+
Change it to G.DMT or multimode for the modulation setting and see if that allows it to sync. if attenuation is high the BT RAS probably won't allow the 2700 to sync using anything higher than ADSL2 (not plus), maybe even on G.DMT.

The 2800 was an old globespan virata chipset, IIRC the Argon II.

The 2700 had an infineon Amazon chipset.

They are quite dissimilar below the middleware.

More
16 Jan 2010 12:01 #9 by deadkenny
Replied by deadkenny on topic 2700 on WBC/21CN ADSL2+
Just to report that things settled down a bit over time. Sync is generally stable at around 6 to 7mbps which is the same as it was with plain ADSL.

Throughput speed still remains an issue but I'm certain that is nothing to do with the router, but is an exchange, BT and/or PlusNet issue. It has got better than the initial days though. i.e. I'm not getting 0.5mbps half the time! Usually get between 3 to 5mbps throughput. Lower however than on plain ADSL.

For where I live, my line condition (which isn't great anyway) and line length, I think I fall into the group of people for whom ADSL2+ doesn't provide much improvement. If I had slower speeds to start with, I get the impression I might have seen an improvement. To get faster speeds I still need to be closer to the exchange I think.

P.S. Lorian, where did you get the 2.8.3 firmware? I can only find 2.8.2 for download. Does it provide any worthwhile improvements?

Draytek Vigor 2700V (2S1L). Firmware: 2.8.3

More
16 Jan 2010 14:34 #10 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic 2700 on WBC/21CN ADSL2+
it's on the international site: www.draytek.com
It adds stuff like an MTU setting in the GUI, not much else really.

More
17 Jan 2010 18:34 #11 by deadkenny
Replied by deadkenny on topic 2700 on WBC/21CN ADSL2+
Cheers. Seem to be a few fixes in the release notes, so I've updated.

What's all this multi-PVC stuff about? That's new. Nothing to do with double glazing I take it? :D

P.S. When I said everything was stable, I got some major downtime today. Loads of crackling noise on the line and no sync. Seem to have sorted the crackling out, though not really sure it was anything I did. However it won't sync with multimode any more. G.DMT is fine, but obviously that's plain ADSL. Sync speed is half of what I had before too.

Would the BT profile have clobbered me because of the garbage on the line I had during the day, and thus is only allowing me on plain ADSL at a lower speed? Though I thought multimode should sync with G.DMT if it can't do ADSL2 ?

Draytek Vigor 2700V (2S1L). Firmware: 2.8.3

More
18 Jan 2010 08:16 #12 by azzaka
Replied by azzaka on topic 2700 on WBC/21CN ADSL2+
Depends on the MSAN/DSLAM. Some of the line cards will allow Multimode whilst opthers wont.

The MSAN/DSLAM would have clobbered you and changed your profile accordingl, however that should not stop you from using multimode. A thought would be to factory reset the modem and then see if it will do multimode again.

I Sync
I Auth
Therefore I am... Online

Technical Support Services Consultant, Zen Internet Ltd

Moderators: ChrisSami