Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Definate Xbox Live issue with 2820vn and 3.3.3

• jahultranix
  • Topic Author
More
05 Feb 2010 17:06 #60381 by jahultranix
Ok, been going mad for ages trying to resolve this one. Situation:

1) Since upgrading to 3.3.3, i have been unable to connect to xbox live

2) The Xbox gives various generic messages which seem to vary for no apparent reason, ranging from can't resolve DNS, to unable to connect to the internet, to connecting all the way to xbox live once in a blue moon and then just immediatly disconnecting

3) Every other network service you can think of works without issue at all. I can establish VPN connections, surf the web, use p2p, play various PC games etc. from multiple other devices, on different platforms (WinXP, Win7 and OS X), and wireless devices such as iphone work flawlessly as well. It is just xbox live!

4) Xbox is able to get its details fine using DHCP and is contactable on the network via ICMP, and ARP entry on router is correct etc. Can ping xbox from router all the time.

So there are some basic facts on what is occuring. Now, here what I have tried to remedy the issue (without success):

1) Complete reset/clear of router firmware and config, and just basic settings for connecting applied. No difference.

2) I borrowed a brand new unconfigured Vigor 2820 from work, and configured it. Same problem.

3) Tried various combinations of UPnP on/off, forwarding all ports to the Xbox, forwarding just xbox live ports, forwarding no ports and letting UPnP sort it out etc.

4) Took the Xbox round to my cousins house, plugged it into his router (Dlink something or other), bang, straight in.

5) Bought my cousins Xbox round here which works fine at his, plugged it in, same issue I get

6) Disabled DHCP client on the Xbox, tried static config, no difference

7) Tried using various different DNS servers provided by both static and DHCP configurations on the Xbox

8) Experimented with a variety of different MTU settings

I'm sure I have tried other spur of the moment ideas as well, but my brain is starting to melt thinking about it. Anyone got any ideas? I'm a bit stumped now, and convinced this is an issue with the 2820 and 3.3.3, and would love somebody to prove me wrong!!

I'm on an ADSL2+ connection with Bethere/O2, and the exact router details are:

Model Name : Vigor2820Vn
Firmware Version : 3.3.3_232201
Build Date/Time : Oct 23 2009 15:23:15
ADSL Firmware Version : 232201_A Hardware: Annex A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2010 21:17 #60385 by kc_
i have same router, same firmware, xbox live has never had a problem here

More
07 Feb 2010 20:37 #60403 by catzi
I have no problems with the 2820, 3.3.3 firmware, xbox live and Zen internet.

You could try configuring the Xbox as a DMZ host - that normally gets around UPnP problems but does mean your Xbox is effectively hanging off the internet (shouldn't be a problem).

More
07 Feb 2010 20:59 #60404 by kc_
Also if such a major issue for you with new firmware, roll back to last firmware.

• jahultranix
  • Topic Author
More
08 Feb 2010 10:46 #60416 by jahultranix
Replied by jahultranix on topic Definate Xbox Live issue with 2820vn and 3.3.3
thanks for the suggestion re. DMZ host, will give it a go.

rolling firmware back is always an option, it solves alot of other issues for me though so keen to keep it if possible.

More
10 Feb 2010 04:20 #60450 by asimm.it
Replied by asimm.it on topic Definate Xbox Live issue with 2820vn and 3.3.3

catzi wrote: I have no problems with the 2820, 3.3.3 firmware, xbox live and Zen internet.

You could try configuring the Xbox as a DMZ host - that normally gets around UPnP problems but does mean your Xbox is effectively hanging off the internet (shouldn't be a problem).

Hi catzi, you would think that wouldn't be an issue for a console but I would not like to put any money on that after all it is a Microsoft product and we all know how vulnerable the windows operating system can be lol.

P.S jahultranix, try adjusting your MTU setting to 1458

Moderators: Sami