DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek Vigor 2800 Connection problems?

More
13 Jun 2010 14:06 #7 by davetherave
Replied by davetherave on topic Draytek Vigor 2800 Connection problems?
dogo,

dogo wrote: as you can see the router is connected to ADSL, but the WAN side just states [ Starting PPP ]

any ideas?

I had it before with my old Vigour 2600 (which I bought new) when I changed to ADSL Max from fixed 1Mbps.
I can't remember the exact details with the model, but the connection would drop and not recover unless the modem was rebooted. I contacted my ISP (freedom 2 surf) they increased the SNR margin to 16db and the problem went away.

I just upgraded to a second hand Vigour 2800 and now am trying to maximise my connection speed. I contacted my ISP and got them to drop my SNR margin to 9db, my syn speed then increased to from 3.3Mbps to 4Mbps, but the old issue of connection dropout and no recovery starting happening again. Looking at it the modem is synced, but the WAN side of things is start at "Starting PPP". I also found telneting > adsl reboot got things started again.

I have found that I can force my Vigour 2800 to connect at a slightly lower speed ( telneting > adsl maxdnrate ), now this is done my connection seems to be stable again.

What for me is disappointing is that I bought Draytek products because I thought they were robust, and would recover if the connection is lost, not get stuck, but that appears not to be the case.

I would love to fix this issue, its most annoying. Try telneting adsl maxdnrate 3M and see if that helps you.

Regards
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami