DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820vn 3.3.4 firmware problem

• catzi
  • Topic Author
More
24 Jun 2010 21:30 #62476 by catzi
2820vn 3.3.4 firmware problem was created by catzi
I have a few domains that point to various fixed IP's on my 2820. Up until firmware 3.3.4 I could happily use the external domain references internally and the 2820 would reroute to the correct internal address. I updated to 3.3.4 today and noticed a little later that I could no longer access my secure IMAP server which is setup in my email client something like secureimap.domain.com. Found that any external domains that should map to internal servers were no longer accessable using the external address from the internal network.

Downgraded to 3.3.3 and all back to normal. A bit annoying as being able to access eternal addresses internally is very handy indeed.

I'm pretty sure that I have also been able to do this with a 2600 so I'm not sure whether this is by design - I hope not :x or just a bug in 3.3.4. This has always been a feature that I really liked.

Anyone else seen this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• catzi
  • Topic Author
More
24 Jun 2010 21:37 #62478 by catzi
Replied by catzi on topic 2820vn 3.3.4 firmware problem
Just looked at the release notes for 3.3.4

"2. NAT Loopback (Locally accessing another local machine via an external IP and port redirection) does not work for WAN IP Alias addresses"

Oh well. Despite all the fixes etc in 3.3.4 I'm not upgrading until they fix this :(

I've used it for too long to do without it.

More
24 Jun 2010 22:27 #62480 by mikeysoft
Replied by mikeysoft on topic 2820vn 3.3.4 firmware problem
Why can't it just be fixed, rather than declaring it officially broken? It's unacceptable to break functionality that has been working for years, which people rely upon.

It was working prior to 3.3.2 or 3.3.3, so a few code diffs and a bit of investigation would reveal the problem.

What's the best alternative in terms of price/functionality to Draytek? Sonicwall?

More
25 Jun 2010 09:08 #62485 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic 2820vn 3.3.4 firmware problem
Maybe it has a different implementation from 3.3.3? I think it would be worth taking a backup of the current config, then putting it back to factory defaults and see if NAT loopback still works / doesn't when reconfigured.

More
25 Jun 2010 09:28 #62486 by mikeysoft
Replied by mikeysoft on topic 2820vn 3.3.4 firmware problem
True, it may have a different implementation, but then surely you'd fully test all the functionality before releasing it. And at the least, fix it in the next release once it was discovered to be broken.

I tried exactly that, but it didn't work. I did a minimal config from a fresh firmware install, at the request of Draytek support - without WAN IP aliasing NAT loopback worked, with it it failed.

• catzi
  • Topic Author
More
25 Jun 2010 10:57 #62488 by catzi
Replied by catzi on topic 2820vn 3.3.4 firmware problem
I agree with Mikeysoft - poor regression testing on Draytek's part. They should be fixing bugs like this as a priority.

Moderators: Sami