DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Restore 2800 configuration backup to 2820?

• geedub
  • Topic Author
More
04 Aug 2010 10:51 #1 by geedub
Does anyone know if it is possible to backup the configuration of a Vigor 2800 and restore it to a 2820?

I am planning to change routers as part of an office move and am hoping this might be a shortcut.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2010 12:16 #2 by mph

geedub wrote: Does anyone know if it is possible to backup the configuration of a Vigor 2800 and restore it to a 2820?

I am planning to change routers as part of an office move and am hoping this might be a shortcut.

ha ha. ha ha ha ha. Don't be silly, that would be a sensible and nice thing to do. One day Draytek will wake up and move to text configuration files which will then be largely compatible across the range. Don't hold your breath though. Draytek support/engineers think its perfectly fine to have to go onsite and reset the config and re-enter it all by hand, hoping you've remembered to write down all the settings first.

More
09 Aug 2010 22:07 #3 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Restore 2800 configuration backup to 2820?
Which unit are you comparing it to with text config files?

Forum Administrator

More
10 Aug 2010 09:43 #4 by mph

admin wrote: Which unit are you comparing it to with text config files?

I don't understand your question. The two units in question in this thread are the 2800 and 2820; the only comparision between uneditable binary files and text files.

More
10 Aug 2010 09:45 #5 by thrain
Replied by thrain on topic Restore 2800 configuration backup to 2820?
It annoys the heck out of me that the configs are in binary format after working on Cisco devices all day at work :x

More
10 Aug 2010 19:17 #6 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Restore 2800 configuration backup to 2820?
I meant, that it depends what you're comparing it to. Having text files would require development of a text file parser, and then the additional tech support when people don't get the syntax right etc. etc. It's economic on a £600 router, but not on a £150 one I'd guess, particularly as most people won't need it, but everyone would end up paying for it.

Forum Administrator

Moderators: ChrisSami