Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 120 with Vodafone's SureSignal

• smudge04
  • Topic Author
More
18 Aug 2010 11:36 #63405 by smudge04
Vigor 120 with Vodafone's SureSignal was created by smudge04
Hi,

I am trying to work out what in my setup (Netgear SRXN3205 + Vigor120) is stopping my Vodafone SureSignal device connecting properly. I have proved that the device itself works and that it does work with my ISP and my internet connection (I have substituted an alternative modem/router a netgear DG834Gv2 and it works fine).

Has anyone else managed to get the Vodafone SS to connect out using a Vigor 120 as a modem? (Don't really care which router!) This would help me prove that the problem is just the router and not the modem.

For your information this is what Vodafone say is needed to pass-through to get everything working, I have tried port-forwarding these in the router to no avail - any reason why the Vigor 120 would block/interrupt/not cope with any of these:

DestinationIP 212.183.133.177
Ports
TCP/IP 50 ESP
UDP 4500 IPSEC NAT Traversal
UDP 500 ISAKMP

Destination IP 212.183.133.181/2
Ports
ICMP 8 Ping - for keepalive
UDP 123 NTP – for synchronisation

Hoping that someone can help!

Iain

(Vodafone forum with other users having similar issues: http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/topic/61537-vss-time-capsuledraytek-vigor-120/)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• smudge04
  • Topic Author
More
20 Aug 2010 13:42 #63445 by smudge04
Replied by smudge04 on topic Vigor 120 with Vodafone's SureSignal
Hi,

A bit sad replying to your own post but here we go!

Have just swapped the Vigor 120 for a Netgear DM111P and the Vodafone SureSignal works straight away. (I made no other changes to my router) The Vigor must be interrupting things in some way.

A shame really the Vigor worked without any hassle out of the box and has been great other than this issue. It'll go on the shelf as a back-up device now.

Iain

More
06 Sep 2010 01:03 #63677 by wilsodg
Replied by wilsodg on topic Vigor 120 with Vodafone's SureSignal
For some reason, the VSS does not work if there is a PPPoE connection in the link. There are a number of posts on the VF forum re this. It should not be an issue since the VSS is an Ethernet device, but for some reason there is something in the PPPoE link on the Vigor 100/110/120 that prevents the VSS from connecting. Some people manage to get a dual wan (2810/20) to work due to the internal modem, but if you are on a 2910/20 then you will have to make sure one of the connects is not PPPoE through a draytek modem. I actually managed to get a connect with a D-Link modem plugged in, then unplugged the D-link (whereupon it maintained the connection through the second line which was a vigor) and then plugged the second vigor back in - all fine till the line went down 2 weeks later. Like you, I now have a Vigor modem on the shelf. The issue seems to be establishing the VPN session thought the Vigor. It's a shame that neither Draytek nor VF are prepared to understand the root cause of this nor fix it. If only one of them would pick the phone up and speak to the other. My 2910 could do with an upgrade but (like others) I'm going to have to look to another manufacturer now.

More
19 Nov 2010 15:26 #64935 by briandm
Replied by briandm on topic Vigor 120 with Vodafone's SureSignal
I don't think that the presence of a PPPoE link is the problem, I have a Vigor 100 acting as the modem for a Linksys WRT54GL running DD-WRT firmware and my VSS works just fine with this combination.

More
23 Nov 2010 17:55 #64994 by cuthbei
Replied by cuthbei on topic Vigor 120 with Vodafone's SureSignal
Hi,

I have just spent the day diagnosing this exact issue and am now fairly confident why the Vigor 120 is at fault. It appears the IPSec NAT-T connection back from Vodafone is being fragmented by some ISPs, which is perfectly allowable. The problem is, the Vigor 120 is dropping some IP Fragments as detailed in this thread.

http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=15118

Interestingly I don't have this problem when using Newnet as an ISP, which makes me think their network supports larger packets end to end (Jumbo frames I assume).

Thanks, Cuthbei

More
29 Nov 2010 21:10 #65066 by kelvin
Replied by kelvin on topic Vigor 120 with Vodafone's SureSignal
Can you set the MTU to 1492 on the connection? This is the normal maximum for PPPoE without jumbo frame support.

The CISCO VPN clients have a tool to set the MTU for the NAT-T link for exactly this reason.

Kelvin

Moderators: ChrisSami