DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 network interfaces "pausing" sporadically

More
03 Nov 2010 10:02 #19 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic 2820 network interfaces "pausing" sporadically
Remember the modem code is optimised per country consequently the larger numbers do not mean that it is a later modem code. If you get a release candidate from the Poland site the modem code is probably wrong for the UK! I agree that the interleaving is normally controlled from the DSLAM. My ISP newnet gives you the option of having interleaving on or off so its a setting sent to the DSLAM. However my understanding is that even if it is set to interleaving allowed the DSLAM does not necessarily implement it if the line is good enough. The data to determine if interleaving is required and its depth is sent by the router back to the DSLAM eg errors and SNR. Hence the importance of the modem code being correct.

Howard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cpnowell
  • Topic Author
More
03 Nov 2010 14:40 #20 by cpnowell
Replied by cpnowell on topic 2820 network interfaces "pausing" sporadically

Howard Simpson wrote: Remember the modem code is optimised per country consequently the larger numbers do not mean that it is a later modem code. If you get a release candidate from the Poland site the modem code is probably wrong for the UK!

Agreed but actually, my box has been on 232201_A Hardware: Annex A since the official release 3.3.3 for the 2820 and loading the RC2a from the Poland site didn't change that...

Howard Simpson wrote: However my understanding is that even if it is set to interleaving allowed the DSLAM does not necessarily implement it if the line is good enough. The data to determine if interleaving is required and its depth is sent by the router back to the DSLAM eg errors and SNR. Hence the importance of the modem code being correct.

That's my understanding also. Yesterday, I placed a regrade order with Zen to turn off interleaving and they've mailed me this morning to tell me it is now off. However, my box still reports that it is on but back with the official 3.3.4.1 firmware, the depth is now shown as 0 on both paths... :? Perhaps some mis-reporting going on...

Code:
adsl status --------------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A) ----------- Running Mode : G.DMT State : SHOWTIME DS Actual Rate : 8128000 bps US Actual Rate : 448000 bps DS Attainable Rate : 8640000 bps US Attainable Rate : 1304000 bps DS Path Mode : Interleave US Path Mode : Interleave DS Interleave Depth : 0 US Interleave Depth : 0 NE Current Attenuation : 21 dB Cur SNR Margin : 7 dB DS actual PSD : 19. 9 dB US actual PSD : 12. 3 dB ADSL Firmware Version : 232201_A -------------------------------- ATU-C Info --------------------------------- Far Current Attenuation : 10 dB Far SNR Margin : 27 dB CO ITU Version[0] : 00005453 CO ITU Version[1] : 00005443 DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : < TI >

More
03 Nov 2010 18:37 #21 by dbames
What we need, imho, is 3.3.5_rc2b with the 211011_A modem code... :)

• cpnowell
  • Topic Author
More
03 Nov 2010 20:19 #22 by cpnowell

dbames wrote: What we need, imho, is 3.3.5_rc2b with the 211011_A modem code... :)

Does anyone have any idea what the changes were between 211011_A and 232201_A modem code?

More
04 Nov 2010 08:15 #23 by dbames
This is interesting:
http://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=14935&start=14

Looks like 3.3.5_RC5 with 211011_A modem code is now available.

• cpnowell
  • Topic Author
More
04 Nov 2010 10:29 #24 by cpnowell

dbames wrote: This is interesting:
http://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=14935&start=14

Looks like 3.3.5_RC5 with 211011_A modem code is now available.

Ok, I'll be today's Guinea Pig :lol:

Just loaded 3.3.5_RC5 (211011_A) and now my figures look like this...

Code:
adsl status --------------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A) ----------- Running Mode : G.DMT State : SHOWTIME DS Actual Rate : 8128000 bps US Actual Rate : 448000 bps DS Attainable Rate : 8128000 bps US Attainable Rate : 1244000 bps DS Path Mode : Fast US Path Mode : Fast DS Interleave Depth : 1 US Interleave Depth : 1 NE Current Attenuation : 23 dB Cur SNR Margin : 7 dB DS actual PSD : 19. 9 dB US actual PSD : 12. 7 dB ADSL Firmware Version : 211011_A -------------------------------- ATU-C Info --------------------------------- Far Current Attenuation : 11 dB Far SNR Margin : 27 dB CO ITU Version[0] : 00005453 CO ITU Version[1] : 00005443 DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : < TI >

Looks like it is now correctly reporting my Exchange Interleave setting at least... (currently off)I also notice that the DS actual & attainable are showing the same... Throughput seems good. I'll come back on pausing/stability later.

Colin

Moderators: ChrisSami